Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deardorff and tripod

Deardorff and tripod

Would you trust this setup?
    My wife and I are going on a 5 week camping/fly fishing trip through the west. I need to bring the 8x10 but
    as space will be limited I can't bring the wooden tripod. This tripod is a Linhof and I know it's not made for
    large format, but it is sturdy and the controls lock down tight. I know it's a compromise and not the ideal
    situation, but what do you think?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5875.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	74931

Re: Deardorff and tripod

If you can't make room for your regular tripod.... It's gotta be better than not shooting.
    Or get a bigger car
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

You don't say that you are going to hike with your 8 X 10 photo gear.
    When there are times to fish...you fish. Camp...you make camp.
    Set aside times for LF photography. It's not like you 'shoot from the hip' with LF cameras.

Are you going to have your car near each camp site?
    There are enclosed roof-top baggage carriers if you're running out of room inside your vehicle.
    You don't need to purchase a carrier, U-Haul also rents car top carriers.

http://www.discountramps.com/roof-box.htm

Tig weld a male 1/4-20 to the hood of your car?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Tig weld a male 1/4-20 to the hood of your car?
    Geez John,
    I'm supposed to know how to shoot large format, fly fish - and weld?

Peter, if you are gonna make your way near grand junction Colorado, look me up and I'll take you to my favorite spot on the gunnisson river.
    Regards
    Erik

What are your alternatives? Shoot smaller format or use another tripod? I think that if this is all you have then why not? As mentioned above, its got to be better than shooting nothing. Just make sure you are careful inserting/removing film holders and wait for vibrations to die down before taking the shot. I generally find huge leg sets to be overrated and put a lot more worth in a good solid head. Linhof legs are reputed to be pretty heavy duty though so it they may look skinny but will probably stand up to the Dorff no problem.

Octogenarian

A Dorf, mounted on a spindly spider legged tripod, is as useless as a milking stool for a bull elephant.

BTW, how does your wife feel about you taking your 8x10 outfit on her vacation trip?

Eerrrm. I don't trust it. I have a V8, and the first two photos I made with it, it was on a Tiltall. I waited to use the camera further until I got a proper tripod.

You have two problems, instability and vibration. You risk damaging the camera and wasting film. Bring a smaller camera or a bigger tripod. If you have room for an 8x10 camera, you have room for the proper tripod. If you don't have room for the tripod, you don't have room for the camera.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Eerrrm. I don't trust it. I have a V8, and the first two photos I made with it, it was on a Tiltall. I waited to use the camera further until I got a proper tripod.

You have two problems, instability and vibration. You risk damaging the camera and wasting film. Bring a smaller camera or a bigger tripod. If you have room for an 8x10 camera, you have room for the proper tripod. If you don't have room for the tripod, you don't have room for the camera.
    My thoughts exactly. When I first got my V8 and was waiting for a tripod, I put it on a Tiltall, which can handle 4x5s,just to play with the movements and even that combination was so scarey I still have flashbacks about it (and that was in my living room with carpet!)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White