Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best 90mm lens...

Re: Best 90mm lens...

Agreed, sinar db type shutter pictured. The nikon 90 f8 is really in my opinion, the best 90mm available from anyone.

Richard Brown

Fascinating that so many people have so many favourites. At one point, I had three 90mm f8 lenses and I was trying to see which one was the best (re: image circle) on an art pan 6x17 camera. The Super Angulon f8 was sharp center and pretty good on the edges; the nikon f8 was the sharpest at the edges; the fujinon f8 at the edges had the optical qualities of toilet paper! Used them all at f22 .... and kept the nikon lens as it was the best for my application. Your results may vary.... but I do like the nikon glass and the size of it is more comfortable as I age.

The sharpest possible lens in 90mm will also very likely be the one that you're not having to use with a center filter. (Consider using print film if you've got a lens with a need for one with transparency emulsions).

Quote Originally Posted by Alessandro V. View Post
    Hello,

I am very sorry for getting backt to this conversation once again.
    After having thought a lot about it I came to the conclusion that probably either the Rodenstock Grandagon 90mm f/4.5 or the Nikon Nikkor-SW 90mm f/4.5 could be okay for me.

I was wondering if you had some advices regaring the latter, as I only found information about the f/8 version, and if you could tell me the different between the Grandagon f/4.5 and the f/6.8 version.

One more thing that I cannot track online is what type of shutter this lens has.
    I am really sorry, I am new to 4x5 and I don't recognize this type. (I attach an image)

Thank you very much!

Ale
    Rodenstock lens curves and specs are available on the Rodenstock factory web site here:

http://www.rodenstock-photo.com/en/m...l-photography/

This isn't something on which you need to spend days poring over MTF charts and stat sheets. Modern large format lenses from any of the Big Four are better lenses than most of us are photographers.

Very well put, Brian.
    Most amateur photographers adore spend days and nigths talking about MTF curves than photographing.

No, I see that any number of professionals and aspiring pros are getting into the larger formats for the first time precisely to make enormous gallery prints. Trying to wring the ultimate resolution out of the format can be a legitimate concern for some. Of course, there are many other factors that can affect this besides lens choice, but 90mm happens to be a focal length where differences in lenses can be tremendous (testing ala Perez and Thalmann demonstrates this rather starkly). Simply because one photographer won't see more than 40 lp/mm with their desktop scanner doesn't mean that other photographers won't put a premium on twice that resolution.

The major differances between the two Grandagon's is weight and size, the f4.5 version is 700g compared to 460g. Both cma be found in Copal 0 shutters, the image circle is 236mm for the f4.5 and 221mm for th f6.8.

The MC on these Grandagons is superb, I've been using a 90mm f6.8 90 Grandagon for nearly 25 years (it was secon hand then) and I've never run out of coverage.

Ian

Hello,

thank you very much for all your answers!

I have found a lens for an interesting price but it has a little scratch (more or less 0,5mm) on the front element.
    Do you think this would influence the quality of the lens in a very strong manner?

Thank you very much!

Alessandro

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    The major differances between the two Grandagon's is weight and size, the f4.5 version is 700g compared to 460g. Both cma be found in Copal 0 shutters, the image circle is 236mm for the f4.5 and 221mm for th f6.8.

The MC on these Grandagons is superb, I've been using a 90mm f6.8 90 Grandagon for nearly 25 years (it was secon hand then) and I've never run out of coverage.

Ian
    Sorry, the 90mm 4.5 Grandagon-N is only supplied in a 1 shutter while the 90mm 6.8 Grandagon-N is only supplied in a 0 shutter. One other difference though; 102° vs 105° angle of illumination. At f22 at infinity that is 221mm vs 236mm circle of illumination. On 4x5 that means 45mm of rise and 40mm of shift vs 54mm and 48mm.

Or on 5x7, 21 and 16mm vs 10 and 7mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Alessandro V. View Post
    Hello,

thank you very much for all your answers!

I have found a lens for an interesting price but it has a little scratch (more or less 0,5mm) on the front element.
    Do you think this would influence the quality of the lens in a very strong manner?

Thank you very much!

Alessandro
    No. You'll never know it's there.

I use a 9 1/2" Dagor that I found at a show for $40, in a good Compound shutter. It has a nasty looking 8-9mm gouge right about in the center of the rear surface. I filled the scratch with india ink, you can't tell it's there from the photos. I had another 9 1/2" that I traded off when I saw how well the scratched one worked.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.