Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LF Newb

Re: LF Newb

if you are looking at wide angle I would then look for a Calumet CC402 it is
    a short mono rail made just for wide angle

banjo

Quote Originally Posted by gardnermounce11 View Post

Drew, what mm lens should I be looking for? I would love to have some range of movements to begin with.
    There's nothing wrong with the 150mm focal length, but there are lens designs that have larger image circles than others. The Xenar is probably better suited to a camera with more limited movements.

Look here: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...s/LF4x5in.html

You'll see the 150 Xenar has a 173mm image circle (4th column of numbers), while most of the other 150mm lenses have 210mm or larger image circles. 173mm will cover 4x5 (you need 153mm or more), but if you want to use a lot of movements, 173mm will becoming limiting. You'll also see that just about every lens of 180mm or longer has more than enough image circle. Many people start with a 210mm lens. Keh.com has a couple 210mm lenses for under $200. Don't get the one in the Sinar DB mount to go with your Calumet.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/

Quote Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
    With a bit of luck and patience, you should be able to find a 180mm or 210mm Symmar, Sironar, or Fujinon for $200 or a bit less. These are purpose-designed view camera lenses and should provide all of the image circle that you'll need, particularly for landscape work.
    The Kodak 203mm f/7.7 is another popular lens in this focal length. The prewar Kodak Anastigmat 203mm f/7.7 is the same formula, but uncoated. Even this fairly inexpensive relic is a decent performer, especially when used with an efficient lens hood. Mine came on (IIRC) a Graphic View for a little over $100.

Also can anyone point me in the direction of a cheap tripod? Emphasis on cheap. I'm trying to get everything I need in a couple months for a trip. I can buy a sturdier one later.

Tiltall tripods may sell for less than $100 online, and will same you the need of buying a sturdier one anytime later.

Once again, all of you are awesome people.

How about this lens?
    http://www.keh.com/camera/Large-Form...20300251N?r=FE

Quote Originally Posted by gardnermounce11 View Post
    The "Bargain" one looks to be a good deal for a good lens, and Keh has a great return policy if it isn't. Unless the shutter is really bad, it could last you for many years of service.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/

Quote Originally Posted by drew.saunders View Post
    The "Bargain" one looks to be a good deal for a good lens, and Keh has a great return policy if it isn't. Unless the shutter is really bad, it could last you for many years of service.
    Sweet! That's what I'll do then. Thanks for all of the help

One additional question... How do LF filters work? Do they screw onto the lens itself like slr lenses or do they require a holder? I would hate to be unable to use a circular polarizer.

Stefan

All modern lenses accept screw in filters, just like SLR lenses. You won't have any problems with a 180-210mm lens using screw in filters, but with wider lenses the filter ring might cause vignetting.

Circular polarizers are designed for autofocus cameras, you will probably want to get a linear polarizer. Both work, but the linear one is usually available cheap and more effective.