Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LF Newb

Unhappy LF Newb

After shooting weddings for three years I want to return (at least in my free time) to what I got into photography ten years ago for in the first place: landscape. I know that the only way to go about this seriously is LF film or a ~$50k digi back. The choice is pretty obvious I've spent the past week and a half on ebay figuring out prices and testing the waters. At first I thought I wanted a Crown Graphic, and then I thought I wanted a Calumet, and then there was a really confusing hour and a half on thursday when both the Orbital and Arca Swiss looked awesome and I couldn't possibly imagine how I had ever wanted a Crown Graphic, and then five minutes later I thought the Crown Graphic looked perfect; and now I'm so confused that I've decided to seek help.

Here's what I do know: I don't need a LF for anything but landscape. I will be photographing primarily near my home in TN so it's okay if it's a little weighty (I won't be taking it on any backpacking trips soon). I have a tight budget so I would love to find a camera/lens combo for $300 or less.

Any advice would be MUCH appreciated!

Re: LF Newb

In your price range, I would opt for the Calumet or a similar mono rail view camera. You stated that you don't mind the weight and won't be back packing. The Calumets are selling for a few hundred dollars and are plentiful. For a few hundred more, you can get a used field camera. Less movements, but better suited for field work.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
    Last edited by joselsgil; 26-Mar-2011 at 22:06. Reason: added more info

The Calumet (and other reincarnations of the same pattern) are justifiably popular. The Kodak Graphic view and improved Graphic View II are similarly capable. All use easily fabricated 4" square lens boards like the Annniversary Speed Graphic and Burke & James Press cameras, an asset for us who like to adapt odd lenses to our cameras. The B&J has better front tilts for landscape photography, but perhaps lower build quality than the SG, and fewer accessories.

It's the lens, not the camera, that forms the image. A lens with enough coverage for the movements on any of the above cameras is worth the greater cost than the 127 or 135mm press camera lenses that are so plentiful.

Don't forget to budget for a sturdy tripod, film holders, dark cloth, ground glass loupe, and perhaps a few filters. Tiltall made great tripods (good enough for Ansel Adams) until production was moved overseas. Dark cloths can be home-made. I get by with a very crude loupe and ancient film holders.

If you have no experience with large format, good books on view cameras save much experimentation. Welcome to the wonderful world of large format and landscape photography. What a change from shooting weddings!

I just found a Calumet monorail without a lens or lensboard for $129. Would that plus a Schneider Xenar 150mm for $100 be a good combo?

Carpenter

If I was you I'd seriously look into a sinar f monorail. Forget eBay, check out KEH.com. Their bgn grade items are fantastic. They are very consevative in their ratings so you can be assured what your getting is more than functional. Plus, the return policy is awesome!
    But back to the sinar. They are about as plentiful on the used market as anything else. The f is a great starter camera and infinitely expandable. Lens boards are easy to come by as horseman used the same design, and this applies to bellows as well. And to top it all off, sinar is in your budget! Check it out!

If you buy ANY monorail camera, make sure it comes with the tripod block. The camera actually mounts to the tripod with this and is pretty useless without it. They are typically not interchangeable between brands.

Quote Originally Posted by gardnermounce11 View Post
    I just found a Calumet monorail without a lens or lensboard for $129. Would that plus a Schneider Xenar 150mm for $100 be a good combo?
    Yes, but the Xenar won't have a particularly large image circle, so you won't be able to really play with movements as much to start, if that's a concern. If the shutter on that Xenar is in good shape, that's a good price, and you can always get more lenses later. And then more lenses, and then more...
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/

Thanks to everyone for replying to this thread. I love how helpful everyone is. Another forum I frequently check is head-fi.org (audiophile forum) and the people there are generally JERKS. Thanks to everyone for helping a noob out

Speedfreak, the Sinar Fs I found are all about $250+ body only, which is a little out of my range. I'm trying to keep to $300 for the camera/lens because I know that I'll have to shell out for a tripod, film, holders, cloth, loupe, and at least 3 filters. I would like to have a full system by late May for a trip to Florida.

Drew, what mm lens should I be looking for? I would love to have some range of movements to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by gardnermounce11 View Post
    Thanks to everyone for replying to this thread. I love how helpful everyone is. Another forum I frequently check is head-fi.org (audiophile forum) and the people there are generally JERKS. Thanks to everyone for helping a noob out

Speedfreak, the Sinar Fs I found are all about $250+ body only, which is a little out of my range. I'm trying to keep to $300 for the camera/lens because I know that I'll have to shell out for a tripod, film, holders, cloth, loupe, and at least 3 filters. I would like to have a full system by late May for a trip to Florida.

Drew, what mm lens should I be looking for? I would love to have some range of movements to begin with.
    With a bit of luck and patience, you should be able to find a 180mm or 210mm Symmar, Sironar, or Fujinon for $200 or a bit less. These are purpose-designed view camera lenses and should provide all of the image circle that you'll need, particularly for landscape work.

Quote Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
    With a bit of luck and patience, you should be able to find a 180mm or 210mm Symmar, Sironar, or Fujinon for $200 or a bit less. These are purpose-designed view camera lenses and should provide all of the image circle that you'll need, particularly for landscape work.
    Alright, so it looks like I'm going to get the calumet rail and try my best to find one of the lenses you mentioned.