Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Selling large format prints on ebay or Amazon?

Re: Selling large format prints on ebay or Amazon?

Greetings again...

Many thanks for responses. I'll politely take it as a "no."

Big Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Big Fish View Post
    Greetings again...

Many thanks for responses. I'll politely take it as a "no."

Big Fish
    Really? In facts there is truth.

Since 2/24/11 there were 54 photographs that sold for over $1,000. the highest was $100,000k. the lowest was $1,000.

Scott Davis

Pawlowski-

I don't know whose work those photographs were, but I'd put good money on the notion that they were nearly all "name" photographers whose work is only available in the secondary market, like Ansel Adams or Edward Weston, and not currently working artists.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Davis View Post
    Pawlowski-

I don't know whose work those photographs were, but I'd put good money on the notion that they were nearly all "name" photographers whose work is only available in the secondary market, like Ansel Adams or Edward Weston, and not currently working artists.
    This is an interesting thread because if you do a search on photography that has been sold (on ebay) and list the highest first, for the most part you see a huge listing of Peter Lik's work. Now that being said, I only saw a few that had actually sold, but one was for $22,000. There were some photos sold that were by Adams, Weston, etc, but they were not even close to the prices of the highest.

I like to do this search every so often as it can be very eye opening in terms of what type of values get placed on photos. Jim

Gentlemen..

Thanks again for a continued response. As consumers/collectors the purchasers probably know the photographers work as well as the print and always looking for a deal. The Amazon/Ebay market could be a good place as the seller could price break the item with deduction in gallery prices/commissions. However, clearly name/product recognition is the key to photo sales in these marketplaces. Never say die.

Maybe there is just no credible marketplace (other than established galleries hawking an individuals work) for fine art photographers. Let's try to keep thread going.

Thnaks.

If you figure out where you can sell prints at a grand a pop, let me know! PLEASE!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    I don't sell prints via any of those venues, but I think you need to ask yourself, would you? I wouldn't. Some of my prints sell in that price range and no one has bought them off the web without seeing them first.
    I don't think the culture of ebay is conductive to selling personal art at decent prices, however I remember that a forum member got five figure bids for an original Ansel Adams prints. I also often sell prints in that price range on my own website.