Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: A poll about your field notes

Re: A poll about your field notes

perhaps if you have to write something down about the scene in front of you, to remember why you took the picture then its not really worth wasting the film.

i find the anal approach most amusing, using excel and specially printed sheets hehe thats funny

i am now going to use a rubber and remove the asa no. i marked on my holders just to be original lol

and im going to remove all the manufacturer badges of my cameras and stick them to my forehead ,that will make me an artist lol

I always used a small, bound writing journal, making exposure-time descriptions on the left calendar and printing instructions on the right calendar. The binding has fallen apart, probably because I jammed a bunch of Polaroids into it, but I still have it and use it when scanning old negatives.

I only occasionally used it with medium-format, and I wish my Pentax 6x7 had the same slick feature my 645N and NII has. The 645's encode exposure information in tiny lettering along the edge of each frame. I kept the book in my view camera case and so didn't usually have it along for medium-format work unless I was there with the view camera also.

My notes often include drawings, and always include measured and placed zonal values for the visualized tones. It includes development information for the negative, and exposure information (plus a dodging and burning plan) for the print. I always included the date and film holder number, and these are keyed with my negative sleeves in the notebook where I keep my negatives. The basic description I write in the notes usually becomes the "title" for the photo.

I've bought a new record ledger book that has a better binding and more room for the shakier handwriting I now have, and even though I carry an iPhone which screams for the appropriate app I will still used hand-written notes for large-format work.

Rick "thinking hand-written notes are part of the large-format contemplative experience" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by sun of sand View Post
    I like to pen a poem for each photograph
    A field note:

This will be a great shot, I’m hopin’
    I love how the landscape is slopin’
    The light is just right
    The bellows are tight
    And I remembered to shoot not wide open

Quote Originally Posted by pablo batt View Post
    perhaps if you have to write something down about the scene in front of you, to remember why you took the picture then its not really worth wasting the film.

i find the anal approach most amusing, using excel and specially printed sheets hehe thats funny

i am now going to use a rubber and remove the asa no. i marked on my holders just to be original lol

and im going to remove all the manufacturer badges of my cameras and stick them to my forehead ,that will make me an artist lol
    It sounds like you do not process your own film, use exposure compensation methods or utilize the zone system; maybe you do a lot of finger crossing. I find your arrogance most amusing as it spells out your abilities or lack off. Don't throw stones if you do not understand others abilities to reach for excellence.

"well im not a photographer and never want to be, i am a camera repair person, thats why i take pics ,i just love cameras." pablo batt
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...&postcount=100

Oh, that explains a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    It sounds like you do not process your own film, use exposure compensation methods or utilize the zone system; maybe you do a lot of finger crossing. I find your arrogance most amusing as it spells out your abilities or lack off. Don't throw stones if you do not understand others abilities to reach for excellence.
    Either that, or he is not old enough to have a sufficient number of years and images behind him to teach him how easy it is to forget!

Added...

Ahhh...that does explain it!

Quote Originally Posted by pablo batt View Post
    i am now going to use a rubber
    Highly recommended.

Rick "ahem!" Denney

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

let me ask this, what will the zone system tell me that a polaroid or a digital LCD display can not..?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve M Hostetter View Post
    let me ask this, what will the zone system do for me that a polaroid or a digital LCD display can not..?
    Provide pleasure.

Rick "who doesn't shoot large format just to make a picture" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    Darlene:

Just curious, I know why you responded to Pablo, but it sounds to me that you're guilty of the same arrogance. I do process my own film, but don't use the zone system or any other detailed exposure compensation philosophy. I utilize the "Ultimate Exposure Computer" which is basically a "shoot from the hip" determination of the exposure. My darkroom techniques are standard: I don't do N+1/N-1 type processing, just soup the stuff up. My printing is also somewhat standard, with simple dodge/burn for adjustments, though I'm utilizing a semi-digital workflow more and more. I get the idea from your post that if one doesn't utilize certain methods that it signifies their "abilities or lack off" and that they perhaps don't "reach for excellence." Is this what you're trying to say? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Brian