Thread: powerHouse books

powerHouse books

Does anyone know anything about this company? Has anyone ever had their work published with them? Have you ever bought their books or visited their gallery? Did anyone attend the NY Photo Festival in DUMBO earlier this year?

Re: powerHouse books

I was at the Photo Festival and have been to their store/gallery in DUMBO. I've got Kevin Bubriski's "Pilgrimage" which was published by powerHouse in 2002. The book is nicely designed and well printed. Some of their books are fantastic, though many leave me cold.

What kind of info are you looking for? Weren't you involved with NYPF? I know I got a copy of Focus Mag's Special Collectors Edition from the press room.

-m

Quote Originally Posted by Michael N. Meyer View Post
    I was at the Photo Festival and have been to their store/gallery in DUMBO. I've got Kevin Bubriski's "Pilgrimage" which was published by powerHouse in 2002. The book is nicely designed and well printed. Some of their books are fantastic, though many leave me cold.

What kind of info are you looking for? Weren't you involved with NYPF? I know I got a copy of Focus Mag's Special Collectors Edition from the press room.

-m
    I was slightly involved this year -- no more involved than any other publication. They are, however; looking to increase those roles as time goes by... thus the reason for my query. I've known about them for a long time, but up until this year, we've never worked together. The Festival was very well thought out, I felt.

Powerhouse has published many excellent, high quality photography books by well known photographers such as Helen Levitt, Danny Lyon, and David Alan Harvey, as well as lesser known photographers such as Lisa Kahane, Jamel Shabazz, and Vivian Cherry. pH strikes me as attempting (and succeeding) to designate what is trendy chic bleeding edge in fine art photography in the New York City.

Quote Originally Posted by gdmcclintock View Post
    Powerhouse has published many excellent, high quality photography books by well known photographers such as Helen Levitt, Danny Lyon, and David Alan Harvey, as well as lesser known photographers such as Lisa Kahane, Jamel Shabazz, and Vivian Cherry. pH strikes me as attempting (and succeeding) to designate what is trendy chic bleeding edge in fine art photography in the New York City.
    I've heard that term before... bleeding edge... what does it mean?

Bleeding edge is a term in the tech industry to be on the top of the technology curve.
    Last edited by Navy Moose; 5-Sep-2008 at 10:29. Reason: Remove redundancy

Bleeding edge is just past the cutting edge...
    However the only powerHouse book I own, or have seen, is as retro as you can get:
    a beautifully written and printed book on William Henry Fox Talbot and his invention of photography.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    Bleeding edge is just past the cutting edge...
    However the only powerHouse book I own, or have seen, is as retro as you can get:
    a beautifully written and printed book on William Henry Fox Talbot and his invention of photography.
    Is that the Geoffrey Batchen book? I wondered how that one turned out.