Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ever feel really STUPID???

Re: Ever feel really STUPID???

Yes, felt stupid all weekend :-( Yesterday developed Tmax in Kodak fixer (the bottles are exactly the same and I did not check). Today drove miles to take a specific few photos, and had left the lupe at home. Went back home to get it, and then discovered I'd left my cable release on the ground.. luckily it was still there when I went back!
    Hmmm, more than enough senior moments for one weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Trust me, it it quite possible to do really stupid things even in New Mexico with a 4x5.
    Yes, but lunch in Santa Fe covers a multitude of errors. I would destroy a box of film to do that. Guadaloupe Cafe.... Hmmmm hmmm good.

tim in san jose

We like a little chefy place called Agua Santa. Superb!!!!
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Yesterday I "developed" two sheets of HP5+ in PMK to see which lens was sharper, a 24" RDA or the Fuji 600 CS. All the trays were set up, stop and fixer ready and the small cylinder of measured PMK solution was beside the first tray of water ready to pour in. I turned off the light and unloaded the holder and proceeded to develop, stop and fix the two sheets. I was surprised by the profound lack of information on the negs until I noticed the developer still sitting there waiting to be poured into the first tray of water.... That wasn't the stupid part. This wasn't the first time I've done that..

You guys should think of this: A truly stupid person is limited by their stupidity.

An intelligent person has much more potential!

I remember 30 - odd years ago; my Grandfather was watching me rinse paper plates prior to burning them in the woodstove at hunting camp. He looked, and said "You know, it takes brains to do something that stupid".

i think it was Somerset Maughn who said "only the mediocre are always at their best".
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    i think it was Somerset Maughn who said "only the mediocre are always at their best".
    So what does that make those of us who always seem to be at our worst? Is that our best?
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

ironically enough this quote often gets people to insist that they are never at there best so as not to be seen as mediocre! It makes for some funny conversations.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

I see in black and white.

You know, I've been developing film for almost 4 years now I think and I've never done the fixer first, developer second thing. Then again, my mixing bottle for developer (brown plastic quart bottle) is significantly different than my mixing bottle for fixer (translucent Rubbermaid bottle).

What I have done, though, are other really stupid things. Leaving the core out of my 35mm development tank. That ruined a couple rolls. I forgot to make sure the Combi-Plan had both caps on...which has ruined most of my 4x5 to date. Or "ruined", still posted it. I've shot film at the wrong ISO before and tried to save it (both successfully and unsuccessfully). I've developed a roll of Fuji 400 that I could've sworn was a roll of TMAX 100 (interestingly enough, that was a happy accident - it's kinda neat in D76, and the time for TMAX was just right). I've pulled the darkslide before I've shut the shutter. I've forgotten to stop down. I've forgotten to PULL the darkslide.

So yeah, I've had my share of feeling stupid. Sometimes it just helps to bask in it with everyone else.

I developed the wrong Grafmatic yesterday, 6 clear sheets, at least I'd been too busy to go out and shoot the other one (again).

But my best was medium format, a few years ago. I'd just gotten the 250/5 for my Mamiya Universal, and set about doing a rangefinder calibration. I got to the part where I take the lens off to adjust the little screw inside. I grasped the lens firmly, and turned the mount ring. Unfortunately, this was my first lens with a tripod mount. The heavy metal camera fell on my bare foot corner first.

I hopped, I cursed, my wife laughed mercilessly. 15 minutes later I did it again.