Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I keep my big Ries?

Should I keep my big Ries?

Hi guys, I am trying to decide whether to keep my big Ries A-100 2 ULF tripod or sell it and get the regular A-100.A couple or so years ago when I decided to get into 8x10 I ended up with a mint Calumet 18lb black beast, compendium shade, and a few large plasmat lenses.I had decided I wanted a Ries and Jeff at Badger Graphics talked me into the bigger 2 version of the A-100 after I described my camera setup.His reasoning was leverage, I was told the 25lb rating of the regular A-100 was dead weight, and that I needed to consider the forces of leverage when extending my bellows way out and shooting at extreme angles like down at the ground.Well fast forward to now.I've only used my A-100 2 a few times indoors on the carpet, so it is essentially still in brand new condition with the original box and packing material.I really want to get down to the beach and shoot tide pools, seaweed, rocks, etc., but as soon as I do I know the tripod is going to get beat up.So do I keep my A-100 2, or sell it while its still in as new condition and get the 2lb lighter A-100.I need a little advice from the more experienced LF shooters.Thanks...................Chris

lazy retired bum

Re: Should I keep my big Ries?

It will certainly cost some money to make the switch. Has the 2 pound difference really stopped you from getting photographs? If so, it's a done deed, if not, consider carefully whether 2 pounds is really worth all the hassle, or bag it and get a CF that is significantly less heavy.

I shoot only 4x5, an AS Field, so camera weight is not a huge issue for me.

Good luck.

Eric

Keep the Ries, and then get this for your low level stuff:

http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/Item...;2D243&eq=&Tp=

I hope to add one soon for my low level 8x10 shooting.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Maybe I should just get a bigger camera?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S View Post
    Maybe I should just get a bigger camera?
    Well, you're going to get one eventually, so you might as well keep the big tripod.

The A-100-2 is probably overkill for your C-1, I believe it was a regular A-100 + A-250 head that handled the NYC Polaroid Studios Wisner 20x24 for a couple years before the tilt-lock shaft on the head broke.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Storer View Post
    The A-100-2 is probably overkill for your C-1, I believe it was a regular A-100 + A-250 head that handled the NYC Polaroid Studios Wisner 20x24 for a couple years before the tilt-lock shaft on the head broke.
    Well I've seen that Wisner 20x24 on the A100-2 in some view camera magazine photos.So you're saying it was sitting on a regular A-100 before that?Man...even the A-100-2 looks dinky under that monster So Tracy it sounds like you recommend I sell the 2 and go with the regular version.You're an ULF guy, realistically whats the market demand for an A-100-2 these days, and what venues would you recommend to advertise it on?I wish Badger Graphics would have been a little more honest or had someone more experienced work with me.Thats a very expensive mistake

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S View Post
    Well I've seen that Wisner 20x24 on the A100-2 in some view camera magazine photos.So you're saying it was sitting on a regular A-100 before that?Man...even the A-100-2 looks dinky under that monster So Tracy it sounds like you recommend I sell the 2 and go with the regular version.You're an ULF guy, realistically whats the market demand for an A-100-2 these days, and what venues would you recommend to advertise it on?I wish Badger Graphics would have been a little more honest or had someone more experienced work with me.Thats a very expensive mistake
    To be fair, you haven't tried it with the smaller tripod yet.

(edited because I forgot which Ries tripod I had..)
    Isaac

Quote Originally Posted by isaacc7 View Post
    To be fair, you haven't tried it with the smaller tripod yet.

(edited because I forgot which Ries tripod I had..)
    Isaac
    Huh?Not following you here