Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: carbon tripod for 8x10

Re: carbon tripod for 8x10

The difference in weight between a 3 series gitzo carbon and metal is really not very much, certainly not for an 8x10 kit, if money is an issue. I have a 4 section 3 series metal, which lets me pack it in a smaller space for traveling and carrying in a pack. The advantage over the carbon is it has removable feet so I could add spikes - they really help in some cases. I bought a used 5 series telestudex to shoot over fences - extends to 8 feet and is still stable. Weighs 12 pounds or so, but I find that I use it all the time if I do not have to go too far because it is so comfortable to work on a tripod that does not move if you bump it.

It depends on your intended use. I shoot landscapes almost exclusively, sometimes in steep terrain and often far from the car. For this type of shooting, I've settled on the G1348 with an Arca B1 head as my primary tripod. It can hold an Arca 8x10 fine and can hold the camera plus 20-30 lbs of weights hanging from the center column if it is well balanced (i.e., so the weight is distributed evenly over all 3 legs). However, I've found that with the 8x10, is is quite rare to have a level of wind that requires weights. It's either too windy to use the 8x10 or it's not windy and you don't need the weights. The light weight of the G1348, however, does make it easier for wind gusts to blow your camera/tripod over. After a few heart-stopping observations of the upwind tripod leg lifting up in unexpected wind gusts, I now hook a strap from my camera backpack on the upwind/uphill leg if there is any chance of wind. I also have an older aluminum Gitzo that extends to over 100" (similar to G1504) and is quite heavy. I haven't found much increased camera stability with this heavy tripod although on several occasions when shooting on steep hillsides the 100" extension on the downhill leg has been essential.

Also, if you're going to be using longer lenses (and therefore have more bellows in the wind), I've found that two smaller tripods (like the G1348) attached to each rail end are often better than one heavy tripod. And having a smaller lighter tripod around is essential when you have to do a long hike or run that 1/2 mile from the car to catch a shot.

If I had to do it again instead of having two G1348 and a monster aluminum tripod, I'd probably just get one G1348 and one taller but lighter carbon tripod like the G1548GT.

So I just looked into the case in which I store my non-LF tripods. I pulled out my Gitzo G1348 mk2 tripod with a Linhof head. I put my Canham light weight 8x10 camera on it.

Ain't no way I'd shoot with that tripod with my 8x10. Sure it can hold it, but as I said about wind (not that I shoot in the wind when my bellows is blowing around) if a sudden gust of wind hit my camera I don't think I'd trust this tripod without hanging a weight from the center hook. If you've got to carry a weight around to make this tripod secure, then get a heavier tripod to start with.

And Frank, billions of years ago a Carbon Tripod was probably cooking away in a star.

Geos

I use both the 1549 (w/ Arca Swiss B2) and the 1349 (w/ RRS BH55). If I'm shooting from the car or walking a distance, with the 8x10, the 1549 is the one. If I travel by air or am hiking long distances I'll take the 1349. I've used the 1349 with 8x10 and a 600mm lens in wind and gotten fine results. My recommendation is the heavier the better, all else being equal.

Perhaps for potentially nasty excursions you might carry an empty bag to stick some rocks in and hang from the tripod?

Travelin' on the Mobius strip Chris_Brown's Avatar

Okay, a little off-topic, but I don't understand why someone would use a Ries model A 100-2 tripod instead of a Gitzo G1504. The Gitzo is almost three pounds lighter (without a head), and goes up to 99" high (without a center column) -- almost 3 feet higher than the Ries. The Ries holds up to 60 lbs. compared to the 45 lbs of the Gitzo, but both those specs will hold any 8x10 camera.

I don't get it. What's the attraction to wood?
    Last edited by Chris_Brown; 20-Nov-2006 at 21:55.

They go with wooden cameras.

Now why anyone would want a wooden camera is beyond me, but if you're crazy enough to spend thousands of dollars on a wooden box, then you probably want the tripod to "look nice" too.

Some people still buy spats too.

My Gitzo 1329 tripod and Arca-Swiss B1 ballhead have served me well with my 8x10 wood field camera (Ebony). Rather than go the heavy tripod route (which would limit me to use near the car), I use the relatively light 1329 and a long lens support arm (also very light weight) as needed for additional stability. The long lens support arm clamps to the front leg of the tripod, and supports the front standard. This setup (along with a golf umbrella windbreak and long rubber bands to fix the front and rear standards in place) has worked well for me for the last three years, even in light to moderate winds. When using very long lenses (such as a 1200mm telephoto) I'll use a second tripod to support the front standard, and the long lens support arm to support the rear.

In strong winds, I think you're dead no matter what you do, unless the wind is cyclical and the occasional lull allows you enough time to take your photographs. Otherwise the only hope is to set up behind a very large object (car, rock wall, etc.) as a windbreak.

I'll also vouch for the gitzo 1325. It doesn't take long to set up and holds my 8.7 lb camera very well. You don't need a center column to hang a weight either. Replace the 3/8 bolt with a 3/8 eye bolt with a nut fitted as a depth stopper. Screw that into your head and you can hang a waterproof water bag from the camping store to it filled with rocks, sand, water, or beer bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    Replace the 3/8 bolt with a 3/8 eye bolt with a nut fitted as a depth stopper. Screw that into your head and you can hang a waterproof water bag from the camping store to it filled with rocks, sand, water, or beer bottles.

Hurts like hell though....
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog