Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Re-assessing my (un)sharpest lenses

Re: Re-assessing my (un)sharpest lenses

These are really great comparisons. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this!

I am probably going completely wrong here, but somehow I got the impression that "being unsharp" isn't THE property of soft focus lenses. I seem to have read that the difference lies in how they render specular highlights. It could even be I read this in a thread here, can't find it back. But there were some very impressive examples of that. There was a kind of "glow" around those highlights. And that is something I'm missing in the photos here.

This says nothing about the photos itself, they are great portraits and it is a valuable series.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by peter brooks View Post
    These are really great comparisons. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this!
    Thanks for looking. I am pleased if folks can make use of it.
    Regards
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    I am probably going completely wrong here, but somehow I got the impression that "being unsharp" isn't THE property of soft focus lenses. I seem to have read that the difference lies in how they render specular highlights. It could even be I read this in a thread here, can't find it back. But there were some very impressive examples of that. There was a kind of "glow" around those highlights. And that is something I'm missing in the photos here.

This says nothing about the photos itself, they are great portraits and it is a valuable series.
    That is a very good observation. The glow is an aspect that I think the digitalization of the prints and seeing them on screen has diminished. That said if you click on any the first three images (post 1) and enlarge to 200 %, you should discern the glow to the right of the face and hat and that this diminishes as the each subsequent lens loses the soft focus character.
    Another aspect of soft focus lenses is the sense of both a sharp and soft image as one at the plane of focus. Lenses that use chromatic aberrations exhibit this whereas lenses that employ spherical aberrations tend to an overall soft look. (I think that is correct, someone will correct me if I am wrong).
    Bernice's humourous reference to sorta-focus lens earlier jokes that there is no actual plane of focus (I think) but these types of lenses obey the laws of optics- they just use them to a different end. The appearance of specular highlights depends, as Bernice pointed out, on the nature of the lighting and that is not well demonstrated in this series.
    The Unsharp in the title was really just playing on the frequent focus on the Sharpest lens.
    Regards
    Bill

The sow needs pearls

so I use them
    Tin Can

and so to return to wallow in the mud of the unsharp.

Me too

Thx
    Tin Can

I don't know what happened to the site, but in the last year I noticed everything I post is soft focus. Same for the images in this thread. They are all soft focus and many of them look the same on my computer monitor.

This why we print
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I don't know what happened to the site, but in the last year I noticed everything I post is soft focus. Same for the images in this thread. They are all soft focus and many of them look the same on my computer monitor.
    They're probably dropping the resolution of the images to minimize storage requirements