Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: On-line group critique thread ideas?

multiplex

Re: On-line group critique thread ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    And let's be honest, most comments will not be life-changing.
    problem is that it may be life changing in a negative way .. how dare this person say such and such about my photograph
    I spent weeks getting just the right vantage point, took notes about my exposure, developed it in xyz developer and printed it
    in such a way that it has fantastic microcontrast, I can't believe this person made that comment, and do you see the photography they post?

Further to John's comments above, the reality is that most people will expect praise for what they've created, and will respond negatively if they do not receive it. Its not hard to image where that will lead.

Know and deeply understand images posted on-line are never going to be ~even close~ to what viewing the actual print in real life will be..
    This hard fact and reality alone will bend the perception and emotional response of the audience..

Bottom line, On-line group critique is Not a Good idea... in too many ways.

Bernice

I think it is unlikely someone who spent weeks etc etc getting it just right etc etc is looking for negative/critical feedback. In that case they shouldn't really be posting the image in a place specifically designated for critiques.

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    problem is that it may be life changing in a negative way .. how dare this person say such and such about my photograph
    I spent weeks getting just the right vantage point, took notes about my exposure, developed it in xyz developer and printed it
    in such a way that it has fantastic microcontrast, I can't believe this person made that comment, and do you see the photography they post?

If you don't want critique, don't participate.
    If you don't want to give critique, don't participate.
    If you don't think a critique is a good idea, don't participate.

Seems rather simple. Are there people that would benefit? Surely so. Are there people that won't like what is said about their photograph? Probably. Will there be people who give critique and get mad that their wisdom is not valued or listened to? Well look at this forum for the answer to that.

If OP wants to organize and put together something of this nature, I think it should be encouraged. If I have time I might participate in one capacity or another.

As for the question of "online images are not going to come across" please don't make perfection be the enemy of good. Plenty of things to critique about a photo that don't involve being able to inspect the surface gloss of the print.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

It's worth a try. I will have my popcorn ready...

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Only one item from that list is of any meaning/significance:

~Emotional response from the audience.. This goes back to the question of "what is art"...

Emotions are tied to memories and much of the human condition. All those other items on the list have zilch significance to the majority of the viewing audience. While some of the viewing audience would be interested to Deeply interested in the materials, method and more related to the creation of an image, it is the Emotional experience that is of primary interest to the audience.

Emotional response tied to memory is why some images are so well remembered and others so rapidly forgotten.

Bernice
    Emotional photos are art. Technically, all photos are craft. Couldn't we critique on both levels?

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    Most don't post their own photos. Maybe that should be required to critique to help keep everyone honest.

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    Further to John's comments above, the reality is that most people will expect praise for what they've created, and will respond negatively if they do not receive it. Its not hard to image where that will lead.
    If they're asking for a critique, then they'll have to accept negative comments. They'll stop posting pretty quickly if it bothers them. But there's no reason other posters should be penalized by not allowing critiques of their photos because of the sensitivity of others.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Know and deeply understand images posted on-line are never going to be ~even close~ to what viewing the actual print in real life will be..
    This hard fact and reality alone will bend the perception and emotional response of the audience..

Bottom line, On-line group critique is Not a Good idea... in too many ways.

Bernice
    Half a loaf is better than no loaf at all.