Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: A collection of LF ideas & discoveries that don't need a whole thread to themselves

A collection of LF ideas & discoveries that don't need a whole thread to themselves

Yours is random, helpful, practical – and probably comes from personal experience.

It has a direct bearing on LF practice, whether for beginners or experts – in studio, field, darkroom, or scanning room.

You've been wanting to share it to help others, but have felt bashful about dedicating an entire thread to it. Here's a chance to get it across without remorse! I imagine one person's tip will mentally trigger additional tips from others.

Can you keep it to one sentence?

Okay, two or three max.

-----
    A plastic garbage bag is instant protection for camera and lens against the unpredictable elements in the field. No cost, no weight, no space, plus 1,001 other uses in the bargain! I even carry two.

Re: A collection of LF ideas & discoveries that don't need a whole thread to themselv

For a windbreak back your SUV up to the shooting spot and raise the hatch.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 67
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Re: A collection of LF ideas & discoveries that don't need a whole thread to themselv

I carry a fabric water bucket for camping in my pack that I fill with water or rocks to hang from the hook underneath my tripod head. Seatlle Sports makes them.http://www.seattlesportsco.com/produ...&idcategory=26
    The image on my ground glass is upside down. Where can I get that fixed? the image on my ground glass is upside down. Where can I get that fixed?

Really, you still see that upside down?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 67
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    For a windbreak back your SUV up to the shooting spot and raise the hatch.
    If my hunch is true, "Where is the wind coming from and can I do anything about it?" is one of the most important questions LFers forget to ask themselves while choosing a composition and before setting up.

The vehicle-windbreak idea never occurred to me and I can use it.

To be sure, I could have used it many times before now.

Talk out loud, saying the actual process while going through the steps to complete a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Talk out loud, saying the actual process while going through the steps to complete a shot.
    Heh, if I had just said "close the lens" out loud more often, fewer screams of torment would have echoed through the Nat'l Forests over the years.

Here's a quick one that just occurred to me: When shooting, devote a dependable pocket to caps from lenses and meters – and don't put them anywhere else. Mine is simply my pants pocket, the front right one. I've never lost a cap. Not even temporarily.

My meter is another matter . I've wrapped a bit of orange tape around it.

Those yellow self-adhesive Post-It sheets are great for labeling holders after the shot. Simply attach them to the darkslide.

Preston Birdwell

Post-Its are also great for marking the spot on graduated neutral density filter where you want the 'grad line' to be. The spot can be easily seen on the GG.

--Caution-- Be sure to remove the Post-It before exposing the film. Not that I have done this, mind you.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Laugh a lot.
    I steal time at 1/125th of a second, so I don't consider my photography to be Fine Art as much as it is petty larceny.
    I'm not OCD. I'm CDO which is alphabetically correct.