Page 36 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast

Thread: Images of mistakes - good or bad..

George Sheils

Re: Images of mistakes - good or bad..

Quote Originally Posted by austin granger View Post
    Train Yard with Hillside Erosion Control Project
    Attachment 91549

Yet another double exposure. It's funny, when I first started out in large format, I almost never made double exposures, and now I find I do fairly frequently. I guess I'm getting careless in middle age... Either that or it's this blasted train yard. You know, come to think of it, there's been something wrong with every negative I've ever made there. That's it-the train yard is cursed!
    Austin, that's a lovely result. I wish I was similarly 'cursed' !

The Rookie

I accidentally added a sheet of NC-160 to a batch of D100 for Rodinal processing:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan206-Edit.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	93357

I like the sepia-tone look and the exceptional sharpness around the focal areas (eyes).
    Yeah. I'm familiar with Photoshop. It's the place I buy my film.

Jehu: You should do a series of these "animal mistakes!" There is definitely some intelligent thought (whatever that means for a leopard) going on behind those eyes!

I spent 2.5 hours yesterday afternoon shooting some 5x7 images around the old redundant filters at Tottiford Treatment Works. I decided to use divided Pyrocat HD this morning to process the images but instead of using 1:20 for 6 minutes which I normally use for divided Pyrocat HD I used the normal 1:100 for 6 minutes. After following all the steps as I normally would I became a bit suspicious when washing the HP5+ negatives as the wash water was coming out pink after leaving the Expert Drum, this stangely became 'more pink' the longer I left the film washing. Took the lid off the 3006 and I had 6 slightly pink clear sheets of film.

To compound the error, I was so convinced I had my processing 'off pat' I decided for the first time since starting with large format not to shoot a second negative of the shots and made do with just the one negative from each of the 6 shots, as I have been storing up a lot of duplicates I probably will never process.

Doh!

Hello Ed, welcome to my thread. Let me pass on the trophy on to you for this one

Ed, that's not a mistake, that's modern art! Just tell people you're inspired by Ellsworth Kelly:

Jonathan

Nothing like sepia, but interesting effect non the less.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehu View Post
    I accidentally added a sheet of NC-160 to a batch of D100 for Rodinal processing:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan206-Edit.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	93357

I like the sepia-tone look and the exceptional sharpness around the focal areas (eyes).

Quote Originally Posted by Ramiro Elena View Post
    Hello Ed, welcome to my thread. Let me pass on the trophy on to you for this one
    Thanks but I'd have rather had the images.

Quote Originally Posted by jcoldslabs View Post
    Ed, that's not a mistake, that's modern art! Just tell people you're inspired by Ellsworth Kelly:

Jonathan
    Must have been from my Dark period

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Bray View Post
    I spent 2.5 hours yesterday afternoon shooting some 5x7 images around the old redundant filters at Tottiford Treatment Works. I decided to use divided Pyrocat HD this morning to process the images but instead of using 1:20 for 6 minutes which I normally use for divided Pyrocat HD I used the normal 1:100 for 6 minutes. After following all the steps as I normally would I became a bit suspicious when washing the HP5+ negatives as the wash water was coming out pink after leaving the Expert Drum, this stangely became 'more pink' the longer I left the film washing. Took the lid off the 3006 and I had 6 slightly pink clear sheets of film.

To compound the error, I was so convinced I had my processing 'off pat' I decided for the first time since starting with large format not to shoot a second negative of the shots and made do with just the one negative from each of the 6 shots, as I have been storing up a lot of duplicates I probably will never process.

Doh!

I have a bunch of these also. I'm quite fond of them, for the few seconds they're in my hand (on their way to the trash bin). The last batch of 4 came when I was shooting with strobes with a Symmar-S in Copal 0, and the little lever had somehow gotten pushed over to 'M'.

Thankfully, I had left my set-up intact while I developed, as I had planned to keep shooting until I got it right. It only took 18 or 20 sheets of film to sort out the bugs.

Bottles and Cans, Scorched Plain, Oregon|Scorched Negative from Partially Pulled Dark Slide, Nevada

This is good example of why one should take the time to properly lock their dark slides. Yes, I'm talking about those little metal swiveling metal things that we all ignore. Oh, is that just me? Well then I guess I've been lucky; this is only the second time this has happened to me. Anyway, it's not hard to imagine how this happened-I made the exposure of the bottles and then put the holder back into my backpack. Later on, when I went to pull out a new holder (this would have been the football field picture I shared in the 5x7 thread), it snagged the slide of the previous holder and partially pulled it. I quickly shoved it back down into place, but unfortunately, even with my lightening reflexes, I'm still not faster than the speed of light. It's funny though, I actually like the result. I think it's more interesting than it would have been otherwise. For now the picture becomes even more about fire, about obliteration, about light itself! Well that's what I'm telling myself anyway.