Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
For me, a "proper proof" is a must have tool because it enables me to easily see if anything wonky is happening in my processes.
Alan,

For me too. That said, teaching beginners how to make proper proofs involves a lot of discussion and practice about optimal lighting for viewing, just what "maximum paper black" is and how to know when you've reached it. etc. Much of the evaluation is really subjective and, if the evaluating conditions aren't correct, erroneous conclusions can be reached. In my first attempt to determine my personal E.I. using the proper-proof method (outlined by Minor White, et al., in "The New Zone System Manual), I evaluated my prints for the rebate reaching maximum paper black in full sunlight. My resulting E.I. was two full stops slower than ISO speed. I learned about "maximum paper black" very quickly! As well as to evaluate my proofs in "gallery lighting."

That was 40+ years ago. I still make proper proofs of every negative I make as both a check on my exposure and development and as a guide to starting contrast for printing. I recommend other darkroom printers do so. Still, it might be best not to include the proper proof in Zone System 101 - let's save it for the second semester

Doremus