Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 8X10--Why do we love it? An LF Valentine!

Thumbs up 8X10--Why do we love it? An LF Valentine!

Why? I've been trying to answer that question.

4x5 is certainly more portable, affordable and has more emulsions and modern lenses going for it.

5X7 ins't far behind and has a decent size negative for contact prints to boot.

11x14 quite literally blows everything away when it comes to portraits and is, to my eyes anyway a more appealing format for the grand landscape.

When it comes to mind blowing aerial images on the ground glass ULFs like 12x20 are...well... "Heroic" (I don't know any other way to describe it!) To experience a sharp 12x20 contact print is pretty darn rear sensory overload!

So why am I (and maybe you too) so taken with the 8x10? What is it that makes this format so loveable? What do you think?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: 8X10--Why do we love it? An LF Valentine!

Let me count the ways.........

I'm with you. I have the other formats so why when I'm on a dead run out the door do I always grab an old 8X10 and throw it in to cart along? Is it the best of all trade-offs with size, weight, resolution, accessories, portability, availability and cost? Yes.

It just always seems to be ready to get the job done.

A color slide on a lighttable answers the question better than I ever could - it is just absolutely beautiful to look at. I have a hard time turning off the light when I look at an 8x10. I just took a close-up of a sunflower in a vase on Kodak 100G and it blows me away - no 35mm or even medium sized macro shot will even come close to the clarity and the detail.
    Juergen

Quote Originally Posted by Juergen Sattler View Post
    A color slide on a lighttable answers the question better than I ever could - it is just absolutely beautiful to look at. I have a hard time turning off the light when I look at an 8x10. I just took a close-up of a sunflower in a vase on Kodak 100G and it blows me away - no 35mm or even medium sized macro shot will even come close to the clarity and the detail.

I agree! I just developed my first 8x10 color slides and was completely blown away. The detail is just incredible, I recently compared some scans I took. They were the exact same shot one on 8x10 the other one 645 using the same film (veliva 100). The 8x10s are just mind blowing.

Gary

my 10x8 experience is limited to about 5 negs, but wow. 4x5 is definitely more convenient, but there's a reason 10x8 paper, both photographic and the slightly different A4 (general use paper size here) is so popular. It's an easy size, you can fit loads on it, and when it comes to photography, those negs look brilliant.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

I haven't shot 8x10" yet...

But I have shot a little 18x24cm,which is a bit narrower. Really nice, but nowhere near as nice as 24x30cm!

I find 8x10/11x14 prints to be special in the sense that they encourage simultaneously seeing both the overall pattern and the details. Smaller and viewing the print is a somewhat intimate experience. Much larger prints tend to hold you at a distance so you don't lose the overall gestalt. And 8x0 is a world more manageable than 11x14. Oddly enough, I also find working with 8x10 considerably easier than smaller formats. Cheers, DJ

How do I love thee, 8x10? Let me count the ways . . .

The groundglass is usefully big but not so big you have to stand back to evaluate it.

You can get away with a 3x loupe for focusing.

For most shots, you can still reach the front standard to perform tilts.

Closeups are easy and work wonderfully; I get better results from 8x10 macro than I do from 4x5 macro.

Contact printing works really well for fine textures, like textiles and skin.

The big wart with 8x10 is that the contact prints are still fairly small. I'm waiting for a cheap 11x14 to come along to fix that problem though.

As Stephen Shore (I think) said - there are really only two formats - 35mm and 8x10 - everything else is a variation on those two :-)

And as has been mentioned, viewing and composing on the GG is just right with the 8x10 (it's basically the size of a small monitor) - you aren't squinting at it all the time like you do with 4x5. But you can still see the whole view more easily than you can with 11x14 and bigger.

It's not quite too big to carry around easily and use. 11x14 is already over the top. A decent 8x10 kit can weigh not too much more than an average 4x5 kit - the main difference is it's a bit bulkier.

Finally, it's just in the right spot for the quality of image it produces.

Unless you are using the best of modern super/XL/apo/HM lenses, once you get to around 16x20 prints, the difference between 4x5 and 8x10 starts to show. And it's not necessarily just about sharpness, but also smoothness and transition of tones. even in an 11x14 print (in fact, often in a magazine reproduction) I can see the subtle differences between an image made with 4x5 and 8x10. Once the prints are a bit bigger, it is quite noticeable. There is usually an overall difference in "feel" to the image.

Again, going up to 11x14 is overkill (and you are either limited to small contact prints or owning a mammoth enlarger - from which you will routinely need to make 40" prints to seriously notice the difference!)
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

When its use is feasible, the 8x10 is the only camera system I have that enables me to get exactly the type of photographs I want without the image quality compromises of smaller systems:

- I can make color prints at virtually any size without signs of overenlargement. So far I have made Chromira prints as large as 30x40", and at the Photo LA show I saw an enormous, mural sized Lightjet print made from 8x10 that had incredible detail and zero grain. For my taste, the 4x5 runs out of gas at around a 20x24" print size, and even at that size I can see a noticeable difference in tonality versus 8x10.
    - Shooting 8x10 B&W gives me the option of making 16x20" silver prints with all the tonal and dmax advantages of traditional printing, without sacrificing resolution as compared to digital prints. They may not have quite the "snap" of B&W contact prints -- I will grant ULF shooters that -- but they are still awfully good in my book. With the 4x5, 16x20" digital prints are noticeably sharper than traditional, even though I frequently don't like the tonality or dmax as much.
    - 8x10 shares a similar or identical aspect ratio with my 4x5 or the 6x7 I used to own, so I can occasionally rotate wall-mounted images without replacing frames or mattes.

Of course, there are plenty of situations where using the 8x10 beast is not feasible (too heavy/bulky, insufficient depth of field, etc.), and for these situations I use my 4x5 or small format systems. But when out shooting landscape or architecture, my first question always is: will the 8x10 work here?