Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Schneider Angulon I Purchased - Is This a Problem?

Re: Schneider Angulon I Purchased - Is This a Problem?

schneideritis. its a common problem with these lenses. there is a blackening on the edges of the elements but its done in layers. the undercoat deteriorates n the silver/white overcoat bleeds through.

it doesnt effect the image unless its very extream.

here is something giving a general idea what it is.

http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/Schneideritis.html

Angulon's have a smaller element bonded to a larger element, and there is a step that is visible that has some cement still present outside smaller element... These will turn color a little or get wavy over time... This is normal with these...

The thing to look for is if there is any discoloration, wavy rings, spectra etc through the glass which means what happened outside the element is between the glass now...

Suggestion about not keeping in a hot car is correct, and have heard to store these front-up to not allow inner element to de-center over time, but I'm not sure if this is true..

Have fun with it, but don't expect any movements with it, as they just barely cover 4X5 frame...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Chaves View Post
    It looks like someone has had that rear element out already, and not very expertly.
    Hmm. I'll take a closer look when it gets here. As I said above, it wasn't exactly cheap, so if it doesn't perform too well I'll send it back probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ron View Post
    schneideritis. its a common problem with these lenses. there is a blackening on the edges of the elements but its done in layers. the undercoat deteriorates n the silver/white overcoat bleeds through.

it doesnt effect the image unless its very extream.

here is something giving a general idea what it is.

http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/Schneideritis.html
    Okay thanks for that. Will go and look at that page.

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Angulon's have a smaller element bonded to a larger element, and there is a step that is visible that has some cement still present outside smaller element... These will turn color a little or get wavy over time... This is normal with these...

The thing to look for is if there is any discoloration, wavy rings, spectra etc through the glass which means what happened outside the element is between the glass now...

Suggestion about not keeping in a hot car is correct, and have heard to store these front-up to not allow inner element to de-center over time, but I'm not sure if this is true..

Have fun with it, but don't expect any movements with it, as they just barely cover 4X5 frame...

Steve K
    Thanks Steve. It should be here shortly so I'll get a better look at it then. As long as I get decent photographs from it, the cement discolouration isn't a problem. It's an old lens — 1961 according to what I saw somewhere — so it's not going to be perfect I suppose.

Mid 1960s Angulon Data by Nokton48, on Flickr

Hi Paul,

This is mid-1960's Angulon Data. Your lens is listed here. 83 degree lens, covers 5x7, takes series 7 filters. I have four of these 120's in barrel and shutter. Great lens.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    Mid 1960s Angulon Data by Nokton48, on Flickr

Hi Paul,

This is mid-1960's Angulon Data. Your lens is listed here. 83 degree lens, covers 5x7, takes series 7 filters. I have four of these 120's in barrel and shutter. Great lens.
    Interesting thanks. I've read elsewhere that it's a good lens, though earlier versions are of variable quality. [The one I bought is a Linhof-selected one though, which I believe means it should be good. We shall see I suppose.]

Trying to judge a lens by it's physical appearance or "Linhof Select" is not ideal as the visuals can bias or predispose expectations for this specific lens.
    Do extensive testing on this specific sample, then decide.

Use a 165mm version of this lens in barrel on 5x7, it's been more than acceptable.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by stephenmcateer View Post
    Interesting thanks. I've read elsewhere that it's a good lens, though earlier versions are of variable quality. [The one I bought is a Linhof-selected one though, which I believe means it should be good. We shall see I suppose.]

makiflex #6 by Nokton48, on Flickr

I like this lens on a recessed board on my Makiflex Standards. Pretty wide for a 60s LF SLR. 6x9cm Makina back Foma Classic straight Microdol-X
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 18-Jul-2022 at 05:59.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    makiflex #6 by Nokton48, on Flickr

I like this lens on a recessed board on my Makiflex Standards. Pretty wide for a 60s SLR. 6x9cm Makina back Foma Classic straight Microdol-X
    Nice work.