Thread: Introducing Chamonix Whole Plate Camera

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Introducing Chamonix Whole Plate Camera

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    James,

I believe Chamonix has dealers in Beijing, but I have not visited their stores. Ask Sandy who visited a Chamonix store in Beijing a few weeks ago. I am not sure they have a 12x20 waiting for you.

Hugo
    I don't believe there are stores in Beijing where you can see Chamonix cameras, but I don't know that for sure. When I was there in September one of the instructors from the China Arts Academy took me and my friend Sam Wang to the studio of the photographer He Chong Yue, who in addition to being a very important Chinese photographer is also one of the owner/managers of Chamonix. In his studio, which is located in an artist colony on the outskirts of Beijing, not far from the 798 artist center, Mr. He had a number of Chamonix cameras on display, including 4X5, 7X17, 4X10, 5X8, and 20X24. I did not see a 12X20, but then again I did not see the 7X17 until I asked. I did purchase a 7X17 directly at that time, at full market value, but I figure to have saved at least $250 or so on shipment since I took it with me on leaving.

He Chong Yue was in Atlanta recently for an exhibition of his work, and he was leaving the next day for New York. I attended the exhibition, and the next day interviewed him for a short article on his work. I do have direct contact information. Please contact him directly for information about Chamonix cameras on display in Beijing. His email is hechongyue@gmail.com. So far as I know Mr. He does not speak or read Chinese but I suspect he will find a way to answer your reply. If you are interested in more contact information please pm me.

I should mention one other thing. There is a huge camera mall in Beijing, called Camera World or something like that, where you will find dozens and dozens of different camera stores offering all kinds of high quality 35mm, MF and LF, and even ULF equipment, new and used. Best stuff in the world, though most of the prices are not that bargain. I saw Shen-Hao cameras in several of the stores but no Chamonix.

Sandy King

Re: Introducing Chamonix Whole Plate Camera

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    I do have direct contact information. Please contact him directly for information about Chamonix cameras on display in Beijing. His email is hechongyue@gmail.com. So far as I know Mr. He does not speak or read Chinese but I suspect he will find a way to answer your reply.

Sandy King
    Sorry, that should have read, "So far as I know Mr. He does not speak or read English,"

His Chinese, so far as I am able to ascertain, is excellent.

Sandy King