Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: How many of you are self-taught (in LF)?

Re: How many of you are self-taught (in LF)?

I am self taught in LF although I did do a postgrad in photojournalism (all 35mm) many years ago. There is nothing inherently complicated in a large format camera, like any other format or shoot it's how complicated you feel you have to make it to get the results you want. Most of the time the only movement I use is a little rise or fall, and you can pick that up instantly. What is important in LF is good habits. Tightening everything down, being methodical in your film handling, and not trying to shoot everything wide open when you start out. Making sure that your equipment is well maintained and working to specification saves a lot of headaches too. Resign yourself to spending £100's if not £1000's on film and processing to get good. In large format the cheapest part is buying a camera!!

I'm self-taught in LF, but would love to take a class (mostly to learn how to better use movements). I've taken classes with 35mm and 120 and have a fairly decent grasp on film and printing. Having been a forensic chemist, I tend to be mostly methodical.

That brings up an important point. There are many learning styles and people will pick the one that works best for them. Mine was a bit unique. I must of had a bit of written instructions, the chemicals were set-up for me, but I had to figure most things out on my own when I made my first prints (employee darkroom at Grand Canyon National Park in 1977). But when I returned to college, I started taking a photo class a year until I graduated in 1981. I also volunteered as a darkroom assistant (we kept the darkroom open after classes and weekends) starting that first photo class. Helping others learn while one is also learning really speeds the process along! And having keys was great!

But to get the most out of a college-level photo class, especially when building a multi-year relationship with a teacher/mentor, one must be willing to give up some control and give it to one's teacher. It requires respect and trust in both directions. It can be a very remarkable thing.

But what made it nice for me was that I was not an art major (photo program was an art degree), but I developed a great relationship with the professors -- and frankly they did not care what my degree major was. I did not have to take any art history classes - just hang out with out photo students and other assistants, make art and all that fun stuff.

After graduating, I worked seasonally for the US Forest Service and for the next ten winters I took a one unit directed study class thru the Extended Education Dept of the college and volunteered in the darkroom. And having the keys was great! After the 10 years I was hired to run the darkroom and I did that for 24 years.

So after over 35 years of learning and working in a university atmosphere, I am a bit biased about its value. It is not for everybody, but for those who embrace it and squeeze the most out of the opportunity, it is an invaluable experience and incredible jump-start as an artist.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

multiplex

except for a few bumps in the road i am self taught
    and often i use a box camera, so thankfully i don't have
    to know much besides pushing the button and developing the film/paper

Thanks to all who have posted in this thread. You have all made good points, given me much to think about, but most importantly, instilled in me the confidence that this can be a successful journey.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cb73.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	169509

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post

I feel sure this is yet another dig at me and if I was a little smarter I would probably understand it.

I have no idea what I have done to cross you or why you insist on continuing to crap on me for what is seemingly just a word choice that you disapprove of. I am really, truly sorry for asking a question that I thought would better myself. I am sorry for trying to do my part to keep alive the tradition of analog photography.

But congratulations. You win. Life is way too short to deal with people like you who's seemingly only (self-appointed) job is to manufacture controversy with there otherwise is none and, in the process, to tell other people how wrong they are. I think I'll go back to APUG where the community is a little friendlier.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post

It's like learning to drive - eventually it all gets subsumed into one process, and one forgets (unless one teaches it) the struggle and practice to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumFu View Post
    I feel sure this is yet another dig at me and if I was a little smarter I would probably understand it.
    Believe me, I was not attacking you or anyone. We are ALL students here -- although some people may not prefer to apply that word to themselves.

Sometimes, I ask other members to define a term that they are using. Even the term "large format" means different things to different people -- just like the term "subminiature photography", or "student". And "self-taught" obviously means completely different things to different shutterbugs. That's fine with me, but sometimes it's difficult to have a discussion when people use the same term, but it doesn't mean the same thing around the table -- and no one defines what they are actually talking about. Some people dismiss it as "semantics". I call it just defining what is being discussed -- which, I admit, is not always easy.

So, I apologize if I have offended you -- or anyone. That was never my intent.

There are essentially two basic aspects of image-making.

*The technical-mechanical side.

*Artistic-Creative-Imagative side.

Being adept at both is part of the image making journey. How these abilities are acquired or developed does not really matter as the goal is to create an expressive image.

Much like learning to play a musical instrument, the instrument of choice requires much structured practice to master. This often involved uncounted hours of practicing scales and various exercises to increase one's skill with the instrument, form a close working relationship with the instrument and understanding it personality with quirks. This becomes the foundation for which the musical instrument is used to express. There are those who are born with an innate gift of musical ability, there are those who are born with an innate gift of visual expression. Others, can care less about musical or visual expression.

Once those foundational skills have been mastered, they are used to express one's personality upon the world. Instrument used for expression is relative and not always the limitation.

Image making can be learned by structured institutions by instructors or by individual motivation to learn, both can be equally effective if the individual has a goal of achievement to aim for, aka images that inspire.

IMO, once the basic technical aspects of film based image making has been gain, time and effort is better spent burning film and studying Art and being observant of Nature and the world. Be ever curious, strive to see small details other may not.

To learn means to change, change is a reality of the human condition and the world we share.

Bernice