Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast

Thread: Photobackpacker is Retiring

Re: Photobackpacker is Retiring

Got a chance to use my new P3 backpack. I can't believe how much weight I can comfortably carry! It's sure to get me out with the view cameras more often.

Quote Originally Posted by dentkimterry View Post
    Got a chance to use my new P3 backpack. I can't believe how much weight I can comfortably carry! It's sure to get me out with the view cameras more often.
    My failure has been finding a way to credibly tell folks that there really is a huge difference between a true technical suspension and those camera bags with shoulder straps and belt. It is similar to the difference between a Kodak Instamatic snapshot and a large format image. I get great satisfaction when my customers confirm this with their comments.

Thanks for sharing, Terry and Bethe.
    Bruce

If a pack only has shoulder straps, all of the weight of the pack is loaded on the carrier's spine. That's not good. Placing the weight on the carrier's hips, and thus avoiding burdening one's spine, makes a _huge_ difference! The P3, assuming it fits you properly, does a great job of distributing the weight of the pack onto one's hips. Having a waist belt is not enough. For commercial shoots, I have a Think Tank backpack. All that it's waist belt accomplishes is to uncomfortably squeeze my midriff. As a result, I use the pack, which is otherwise very good, on a dolly.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Dave Karp

Quote Originally Posted by Photobackpacker View Post
    My failure has been finding a way to credibly tell folks that there really is a huge difference between a true technical suspension and those camera bags with shoulder straps and belt. It is similar to the difference between a Kodak Instamatic snapshot and a large format image. I get great satisfaction when my customers confirm this with their comments.

Thanks for sharing, Terry and Bethe.
    Bruce,

The suspension system on your pack is even better than that on the Redwing and other packs with belts that provide hip support! I am amazed every time I put it on.

I had mine (all my 4x5 stuff, no added smaller formats, though there was room) in the woods the other day. Someone else lifted it and looked at me and asked, "You can seriously carry this?" Yup, easily. And I proceeded to scamper off across the rocks a bit later. No problem. I wish I'd gotten it sooner (though I only got the Chamonix in 2013).

Do or do not. There is no try.

I've just finished hauling my P3 full of Mamiya 7 gear (two bodies, four lenses, filters, film, raingear, water, etc.) around Washington State for 12 days. Once I got the fit right it was simply amazing how good it was. I'd ordered it with what I thought to be the correct torso length, but on a first-day trip to the REI mothership in Seattle I discovered that my measurement was off. It took about 2 minutes to change the torso length, after that it was heaven.

Osprey make a backpack fitting/measuring gadget, any good outdoors store carrying that brand should have one.

Keep debating getting one of the P3's for my 8 x 10 gear... I just wish they held a little more. I want to carry two cascades (that's 6 holders) One cascade for color and one cascade for B&W.

It would also be nice to be able to have an emergency medical care, and enough room for the bivouac and some food. But with the 8x10 and lenses and holders, there doesn't seem to be much extra room. Especially for a 3 day trip on a weekend even.

Am I wrong? Please feel free to share info.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Keep debating getting one of the P3's for my 8 x 10 gear... I just wish they held a little more. I want to carry two cascades (that's 6 holders) One cascade for color and one cascade for B&W.

It would also be nice to be able to have an emergency medical care, and enough room for the bivouac and some food. But with the 8x10 and lenses and holders, there doesn't seem to be much extra room. Especially for a 3 day trip on a weekend even.

I'd say that with a chamonix which is pretty flat when folded you should get 6 holders into the main compartment.. I use a much bigger Tachihara and still manage to put two or three holders in. All the rest of stuff goes into front and side pockets - but I am only making daytrips - I can't imagine squeezing in sleeping gear for an overnighter.
    Website of sorts, as well as flickr thing.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post

I use a P3 for my Chamonix 8x10. A single side pocket is easily enough for a water bottle, food, and a small med kit. A couple weeks ago I took the kit shooting and brought along two cascades, but could only fit one in the pack. It might be possible getting two cascades in the main compartment, but it felt like I was going to tear out the zipper. The extra cascade also didn't fit in the rear compartment. I can't remember if that was because I had some other gear in there or if it was too thick--I'll have to check again. I ended up carrying the extra cascade separately--not ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Goldstein View Post
    I've just finished hauling my P3 full of Mamiya 7 gear (two bodies, four lenses, filters, film, raingear, water, etc.) around Washington State for 12 days. Once I got the fit right it was simply amazing how good it was. I'd ordered it with what I thought to be the correct torso length, but on a first-day trip to the REI mothership in Seattle I discovered that my measurement was off. It took about 2 minutes to change the torso length, after that it was heaven.

Osprey make a backpack fitting/measuring gadget, any good outdoors store carrying that brand should have one.
    Thanks for this info! I used my P3 and it seemed to weigh down on me. When I got back home, I saw this post and when back to Bruce's website, remeasured my torso and made the proper adjustments and went to the REI website and made a few more adjustments ......What a difference! Thanks again!