Page 16 of 34 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Adobe is going to only sell subscription based Photoshop

Les

Re: Adobe is going to only sell subscription based Photoshop

Guys, you might want to see the "answers" from Adobe and all of this current upheaval....it's all over the place.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/05...e-photoshop-cc

(not sure if this is appropriate)

Les

Quote Originally Posted by welly View Post
    I'm not sure why anyone would want to actually buy software. It's worse than a motor vehicle for devaluation. When I look at all the software I've paid for in the past, it's the most worthless investment I can possibly think of. Not only does software become outdated almost as soon as you buy it, continually improving hardware ensures software is outdated even quicker. I'd have rented all my software if it was possible and then I wouldn't have thousands upon thousands of dollars worth of useless software sat gathering dust in various boxes in the garage.
    I only rent food. Way better than buying it...

First of all, here's an interesting analysis of the financial side of things.

In addition to my own creative work, in which I use enough Adobe software to need the master collection, I work as a freelance photo assistant. I can't afford to buy the master collection under the old plan. I can, however, afford $50/month for the creative cloud subscription. Not only is it cheaper over a period of several years, it keeps me perpetually up to date with the latest versions of everything. This is valuable for me in producing my own work, as well as in being up to date when I show up on a shoot where I need to be using the latest software on someone else's machine. A digital tech isn't worth much if he's only familiar with software that's a few generations old already. As an imaging professional, I am excited and pleased for the creative cloud model. I'm not sold on it being the only way to buy the software, but oh well.

Bottom line, the Adobe creative suite is an unbelievably capable, versatile array of tools and people need to realize that $50/month really isn't bad to have access to the most powerful creative software ever developed. I understand that this isn't a great change for everyone, but for a lot of us it's fantastic.

OK with InDesign I'll make a book about Premiere using Illustrator illustrations and then create a semi-functional website using Dreamweaver and Flash and export everything as a giant PDF with Acrobat. I can collaborate with my fellow team members from around the world using the Cloud and my crack third-world subcontractors can implement my concepts while I live the high life from all the Getty microstock profits I rake in.

With Adobe I can be a Creative God.

Quote Originally Posted by David R Munson View Post
    First of all, here's an interesting analysis of the financial side of things.

In addition to my own creative work, in which I use enough Adobe software to need the master collection, I work as a freelance photo assistant. I can't afford to buy the master collection under the old plan. I can, however, afford $50/month for the creative cloud subscription. Not only is it cheaper over a period of several years, it keeps me perpetually up to date with the latest versions of everything. This is valuable for me in producing my own work, as well as in being up to date when I show up on a shoot where I need to be using the latest software on someone else's machine. A digital tech isn't worth much if he's only familiar with software that's a few generations old already. As an imaging professional, I am excited and pleased for the creative cloud model. I'm not sold on it being the only way to buy the software, but oh well.

Bottom line, the Adobe creative suite is an unbelievably capable, versatile array of tools and people need to realize that $50/month really isn't bad to have access to the most powerful creative software ever developed. I understand that this isn't a great change for everyone, but for a lot of us it's fantastic.
    Ha! Good luck with this.

Just wait until you pull down a release that's broken and you need to do some work and deliver product right away. Taking a client's money to do a job on a schedule that can be derailed by a powerful and uncaring remote vendor (Adobe in this case) is negligent. Your gear is not tested and you won't know there's a problem until you try to do what you've always done and the damn thing wont work. That hardly fits your description of "imaging professional".

Get out in the real world in some crappy motel at 8 PM after shooting all day and the internet connection is buggy or goes down and see how much work you can do with a computer that won't run PS 'cause it can't phone home. Or you're a day out of subscription. Or the latest version is changed.

Adobe has run the course of software development and milked every penny they can out of their products over the last 5-6 years. There is not a drop left so now they're going to render the carcass to squeeze out the last few drops of fat. They're leaving being a creative software business and going into a rent seeking monopoly model. This won't last long. If I worked for them, I'd be getting my resume together.

Quote Originally Posted by Otto Seaman View Post
    OK with InDesign I'll make a book about Premiere using Illustrator illustrations and then create a semi-functional website using Dreamweaver and Flash and export everything as a giant PDF with Acrobat. I can collaborate with my fellow team members from around the world using the Cloud and my crack third-world subcontractors can implement my concepts while I live the high life from all the Getty microstock profits I rake in.
    You left out the part about where you're wearing your ironic heavy plastic framed nerd glasses and skinny black hipster jeans. Otherwise you got it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Potter View Post
    Well I'm a long time silver and Ilfochrome printer. A couple of years ago I decided to expand into digital work. For me, a hobbyist, that has been almost a financial disaster. What with scanners, computer, software, printers and DSLR and materials the cost has been well over $10K. I use Photoshop CS with a Mac G5 because the CS was cheap and has turned out to be decent to learn on. In fact it seems to do all that I need it to do. I was planning to get CS6 this year along with a Mac Pro - yea another $3000!

I'm a cheap yankee and psychologically cannot do subscription stuff that has monthly payments or purchase things that I do not own in perpetuity. It looks like I will be locked out of anything beyond CS6.

Well, so be it. (phrase named for the famous Russian philosopher Dimitri Sobeit, IIRC).

I think Tyler has a point about the financial pressures on fine artists and I would add to that hobbyists with limited funds that must come from family resources.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.
    You didn't own a computer before you switched to Photoshop? You didn't own a printer? You didn't own a DSLR? You mention buying "scanners" plural - why did you need more than one? You also don't have to pay $3,000 for CS6 if you have CS3 or later and you certainly didn't need to buy Macs. If you're a hobbyist and spent over $10,000 to learn Photoshop you spent a whole lot more than you needed to.

Plus of course you're talking about starting from absolute scratch and assigning all the cost to one year when in fact all that stuff will benefit you for years to come. My computer is about 6 years old, my DSLR was bought in 2008, my lenses were bought at the same time, my scanner was bought about ten years ago, etc. etc. Sure, I could say it all cost about $6,000 in the year of purchase but in fact just like your expenditures, they were capital expenditures that are properly amortized over a period of years, not just all charged to the year of purchase.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ambrose View Post
    Ha! Good luck with this.

Just wait until you pull down a release that's broken and you need to do some work and deliver product right away. Taking a client's money to do a job on a schedule that can be derailed by a powerful and uncaring remote vendor (Adobe in this case) is negligent.
    When has this happened before with adobe software? Why, because of this payment system, will they start releasing bunk software?

Can you stop with the FUD, please?

Okay, so what can you do?

-- complain to the masses. [ ]
    -- curse the gods. [ ]
    -- complain to adobe. [ ]
    -- sign a petition. [ ]
    -- get drunk. [ ]
    -- make certain all current adobe sw is up-to-date. [ ]
    -- upgrade your adobe 'must haves.' (before June!) [ ]
    -- check out this cloud thing. adobe has already told us their future; have they told you yours? [ ]
    -- download and try those 'other' products you've meant to. [ ]
    -- make list of why you need what you need. [ ]

-- get back to worrying about the demise of color sheet film. [ ]

-- take long walk with dogs through some of worlds last untouched desert... your own backyard.

It's not FUD. Professional IT people call it configuration management. There is definite risk every time any critical package is upgraded. Will it still integrate with that system properly? I have had some integration issues each time I've upgraded Photoshop. No, none were fatal, obviously. All were temporarily time consuming. Critical systems managers don't do automatic updates. Their IT people test them first to understand and mitigate side effects.

If Adobe updates, they had a reason to. They will have added or rearranged features. Every time I've upgraded, I've had to go through a learning curve to figure out where the features I use are now residing.

With this delivery model, I lose configuration management control. That is a risk.

But Struan brought up the bigger issue, and that is that there is no way to step off the train once you are on it, and still be able to work. Thus, it's impossible to work on a budget, as many photographers do, when times are tough.

People who take in graphics work have to accept files from the latest version, perhaps. But people who deliver it, or who use those services rather than providing them, can provide a TIFF and the customer won't know or care what version produced it. Especially if that customer is the photographer himself.

Rick "whose professional work involves critical systems" Denney