Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: In what do you carry 4x5 lenses when in the field?

Re: In what do you carry 4x5 lenses when in the field?

Beautiful job, Dan; I'm wondering if you might be able to squeeze in another film holder if you place them head-to-toe.

BAB

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Stone View Post
    I've found that the small lunch-size containers from Igloo/Coleman/etc. seem to work very well for short-term field storage for LF-related items(in particularly lenses, holders, etc...

I carry my "kit" in a Pelican case, but if wandering farther away from the road with that "full kit" than my sanity will allow, I use a small lunchbox cooler, padded with some semi-rigid rubberized foam(from a cheap yoga mat sourced from the thrift store, same place I got the cooler!)

My "kit" all decked out, ready to go at a moments notice. I made the dividers with easily sourced materials.
    Attachment 127445

The small handheld cooler I use when I only want to carry a few small items( couple of 4x5/5x7 holders, a spare lens or two, and some basic accessories(loupe, meter, etc). Camera gets mounted to the tripod, which gets carried over my shoulder, case in the other hand.
    Attachment 127446

-Dan
    Another great beer cooler idea , Thanks.

I was just poking around in my studio closet and discovered a small camera bag that came with my Fuji X-E1, and which I only use occasionally if I'm carrying too many digital lenses. I can slip two 4x5 lenses into it, with the lenses turned slightly and plenty of room for a foam divider. Since I mount a lens on the camera (it's a monorail L-frame Horsemen that packs into a very sturdy and padded plywood box) that means I can carry three lenses with a minimum of hassle. I'll just have to buy another Jill-E bag insert for the extra digital lenses I carry when shooting architecture. If you haven't seen one of these, they're quite inexpensive and slip very nicely into a shoulder bag or backpack. And quite inexpensive. See here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ra_Insert.html. It's 10.5 x 3.5 x 6.25, and the strap is removable so it's easy to get into and out of a pack. When traveling I carry the X-E1 with a 27mm lens attached plus the 18-55 and 55-200 zooms. Fits easily into the underseat shoulder bag I carry onto airplanes. It would also hold two or three 4x5 lenses, depending on the size of the lens board.

Thanks much for all the great suggestions. Seems I should pay more attention to lunch bags and small coolers .

Cheers, BAB

I carry normally one lens into the field, rarely two lenses. They are on boards, wrapped with a lens wrap, and carried in one of the main compartments of a JanSport day pack.

There is a second, usually unmentioned side benefit to using a cooler to hold camera gear: SECURITY

A camera bag/hard case(like a Pelican or Lowepro/Tamrac) can attract the wrong attention in some cases. Most would-be thieves won't give a cooler a second thought when they see it in the back seat of a car, where as a pelican case or expensive camera backpack screams "steal me!"

Also, because these coolers are designed to insulate the interior away from the exterior temperature, it can be great for keeping equipment cool on hot days. And since many larger coolers also incorporate rolling wheels and retracting handles, moving them around is usually quite easy. Many can also double as a seat, when you're waiting for the light to be just right, or when the ground is wet, and you don't feel like having a soaked bum

Especially for monorail users, dividers can be easily constructed(similar in design to how I made my own set for the Pelican case, pictured), and quite inexpensively, depending on what materials are chosen.

But for me, the security factor is the most desirable trait that these coolers provide. Expensive and sometimes rare gear is hard to replace, so some forethought is usually a good idea, depending on one's surroundings when out taking pictures.

-Dan

When I have to pack the works, I use a backpack given to me. It is a Canon with moveable dividers and lots of pockets. It easily accommodates a Linhof Super Technika V, three lenses, viewer, loupe, full set of filters, shade, 6x12 rollfilm back, releases, notebook, meter. For film holders I got a $4 stiff, waterproof military web-belt case. The fit is perfect for 6 holders.

The cool thing about the pack is that the hinky chrome plastic Canon logo has the 'C' snapped off. It reads 'anon'.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Nelson View Post
    I use a small insulated / padded lunch box from WalMart (it actually belonged to one of my daughters). I carry my 150 and 210 inside, with a small piece of foam between them. And you can't beat purple and pink stripes
    Yep, I always shop for those cheap odd looking small lunch bags. They also are good for film holders.

Sometimes I put my kit in a well worn shopping bag. Tripods are the issue.
    Tin Can

BAB

That's a good note, Dan. The little insert I discussed above is very plain and fits nicely out of sight into any pack. I dislike camera packs that are emblazoned with logos that say "STEAL ME."

There is a second, usually unmentioned side benefit to using a cooler to hold camera gear: SECURITY

A camera bag/hard case(like a Pelican or Lowepro/Tamrac) can attract the wrong attention in some cases. Most would-be thieves won't give a cooler a second thought when they see it in the back seat of a car, where as a pelican case or expensive camera backpack screams "steal me!"

Also, because these coolers are designed to insulate the interior away from the exterior temperature, it can be great for keeping equipment cool on hot days. And since many larger coolers also incorporate rolling wheels and retracting handles, moving them around is usually quite easy. Many can also double as a seat, when you're waiting for the light to be just right, or when the ground is wet, and you don't feel like having a soaked bum

Especially for monorail users, dividers can be easily constructed(similar in design to how I made my own set for the Pelican case, pictured), and quite inexpensively, depending on what materials are chosen.

But for me, the security factor is the most desirable trait that these coolers provide. Expensive and sometimes rare gear is hard to replace, so some forethought is usually a good idea, depending on one's surroundings when out taking pictures.

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Yep, I always shop for those cheap odd looking small lunch bags. They also are good for film holders.

Sometimes I put my kit in a well worn shopping bag. Tripods are the issue.
    I just toss it in the trunk of the car.
    A large diameter PVC pipe with end caps can work for smaller sized tripods, but most 3-way tripod heads will need to be removed(but could be stored inside the cooler, with the camera gear).

Lots of ways to skin a cat

I just toss it in the trunk of the car.
    A large diameter PVC pipe with end caps can work for smaller sized tripods, but most 3-way tripod heads will need to be removed(but could be stored inside the cooler, with the camera gear).

Lots of ways to skin a cat
    Car?

Oh yes, you are LA!

I usually use a tripod bag over my shoulder, works on a bike also. Pretty sure most people have no idea what it is.

Working up a bike trailer with plastic stowage box, then I can strap a real tripod on top.
    Tin Can

Well, this is 8x10, but I still hope most folks have a better 'system' than me! The lenses, darkcloth, meter, and misc pouch is kept in the area above the camera. The 300mm has a hard foam homemade case, one or two lenses in lens wraps and one in a bubble-wrap pouch. The secret is in the loading/reloading the pack on the ground so that everything stacks nice and safe when the pack goes on the back!

When I was traveling with a 4x5, I used one lens -- kept in a lens wrap (and a spare GG in a 4x5 film box). It would have been sweet if the camera design would have allowed me to fold the camera with the lens still on the camera. One less thing to fuss with!

Anti-static ziplock bags for film holders and lenses are nice. There are also anti-static ziplock bubble bags -- just a little more padding.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PackInterior.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China