Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a first artificial light for portraits

Re: Looking for a first artificial light for portraits

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    Digital sensors cannot reach that aesthetic performance by far, anyway Canon if better for faces than Nikon, and Nikon is better than Canon for other things.
    My 2-cents about that never-ending argument Canon skews colors a tad bit on the red side which favors people. So if you DO NOT want to become obsessive about processing than Canon delivers great images right out of the box. Most people want their images a bit warm. Nikon doesn't play the psychological color game. It seems to obsess over dynamic range, and has a 1 to 2 stop advantage over Canon. There is no competition in digital to the Nikon D810 IMHO (btw, I've never owned one, my Nikon experience is the D600). I have a Canon EOS-M and D50, so I love Canon's stuff too. Still, straight up, I believe Nikon remains the fussy photographer's tool of choice. They can match Canon color with no problem. Dynamic range can't be faked.

Quote Originally Posted by maxotics View Post
    My 2-cents about that never-ending argument Canon skews colors a tad bit on the red side which favors people. So if you DO NOT want to become obsessive about processing than Canon delivers great images right out of the box. Most people want their images a bit warm. Nikon doesn't play the psychological color game. It seems to obsess over dynamic range, and has a 1 to 2 stop advantage over Canon. There is no competition in digital to the Nikon D810 IMHO (btw, I've never owned one, my Nikon experience is the D600). I have a Canon EOS-M and D50, so I love Canon's stuff too. Still, straight up, I believe Nikon remains the fussy photographer's tool of choice. They can match Canon color with no problem. Dynamic range can't be faked.

Of course, in my Nikon DSLR I set +2M in the wb to correct it... and of course by a ICC or a LUT we can make Nikon result look like Canon and the counter. Anyway the dyes on pixels (of the Bayer pattern) have different relative spectral sensitivity curves. If you look to the charts from Canon and Sony (Nikon has Sony sensor) you'll see different shapes for the curves.

I agree that same average face colors can be obtained, but the dyes on the Canon sensor allow better skin tones separation, as pink from skin capilaries is better separated in RGB values. A bit like Portra, but far from portra.

This is what I concluded about sensor dyes, I may be mistaken...

Anyway I'm a hard core nikonist...

But the good thing about film is that you can select the "sensor dyes" for each job... Portra and Velvia have very different spectral response. With a DSLR we are tied to the spectral response the sensor dyes provide, later with PS it is possible to do something but not all.

Tell Jose Villa that he has to use a DSLR, and you'll see...

I expected a lot but not a canon/nikon debate. Seriously guys...

So the consensus seems to be:

- You would be better off with strobes
    - If you can, invest some money in good LED lights with high CRI scores
    - If you can't, decide between crappy light or melting your subjects face/burning down your house

Did I get this right?

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    I expected a lot but not a canon/nikon debate. Seriously guys...

So the consensus seems to be:

- You would be better off with strobes
    - If you can, invest some money in good LED lights with high CRI scores
    - If you can't, decide between crappy light or melting your subjects face/burning down your house

Did I get this right?

- LED lights with high CRI scores is ok

you have another option:

Xenon is nice !!!

Continuous HID (high intensity discharge). High Light output, Xenon HID like cars !! but it should have a countinous electronic driver, a ballast deliver pulsed light.

Well, the "dyes on sensor" it was important as it is the other factor that combines with light spectrum to make and particular result...

Drew Wiley

Let's just say that a "black body" light source with a true continuous spectrum is adaptable to all kinds of film or sensors. LED or fluorescent sources are not by
    definition continuous. Xenon puts out MOSTLY heat, though it is instantaneous. Once I've seen a xenon flashtube capacitor throw an EMI wave so strong that it blew out every surge protector behind it along with about twenty office computers for good, just like a dam breaking. If you want something like that in the studio, it might be a good public relations policy to hand out white canes to your sitters afterwards.

This another never ending battle. New products, fads and Artistic vision.

Whatever the OP buys as FIRST lighting system even a solitary light IS a system, he may over time change his desires and expectations.

I solve this for my personality type, by acquiring over 20 years a variety of lighting systems and I keep them all.

How about flash bulbs which still offer the most light in the smallest package, including power supply?

I have posted flashbulb vs Studio Strobe results on this forum.
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

Beginner once meant a Smith Victor fifteen buck investment. Now you can find those things free. Some pros stuck with that their entire careers.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Beginner once meant a Smith Victor fifteen buck investment. Now you can find those things free. Some pros stuck with that their entire careers.
    I see you use 'past' tense.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Xenon puts out MOSTLY heat,

This is not like this, xenon arc is one of the most efficient light sources, even more efficient than most LEDs

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    This is not like this, xenon arc is one of the most efficient light sources, even more efficient than most LEDs
    I think he meant HMI lighting. But that is probably not practical or affordable for this application. I sure wouldn't want to pose under those in a small studio! Even high output 2, 4 and 50W 6 tube full output, high CRI fluorescents, while cool to run and with very low current draw can be blindingly bright at full power close up.