Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: front rise on a Tech IV

Re: front rise on a Tech IV

thanks wilbur,

so you are the next to report an "unusal" problem!
    maybe we could start a statistic?

sorry: "unusual"

I have the broken teeth problem on my camera too. It can still lift a lightweight lens
    because it gets some grip in the chewed up plastic but a heavy lens like a 240mm needs
    some help by hand. I do not plan to have it repaired because it looks like it will happen
    again really quickly.
    Is there a technical reason why its plastic and not the same metal like the tracks on the focusing rails? brass?

Quote Originally Posted by douglas antonio View Post
    bob,

is the rapid slide adapter of the 60's-70's plus the hassleblad-V-adapter-plate ready to take digital backs with hassleblad-V-mounts and get equivalent results as with the "new" mt 3000 slide adapter? i have got one in mint condition plus the plate. i was going to check with the phaseone guys next week. they were more than willing to see and talk to me despite the fact that i told them i was definitely not going to buy a phaseone back at the moment.
    but maybe you as a linhof man can help me more easily?! ;-))

douglas

lost the post and had to rewrite it ...
    The old sliding back does not take the adapter plates for the current sliding back nor does that older version function the same way as the current one does not accept 45 on the back half.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur Wong View Post
    Please Bob,

Because YOU have never received a call, doesn't confirm that it isn't so. I have had that problem with my MT2000 since last year. It simply has not risen to the level of annoyance for me to have repaired it. In the meantime, I have babied the usage of this rise so that it doesn't fail completely.

Actually, about 7 months ago, I purchased a pair of replacement geared rack for what I expect to be ultimate failure in the future, I just thought I'd get as much life out of the original ones as possible. The replacement racks I would expect to also fail eventually.

For readers unfamiliar with this, the rack for the front rise appears to be injection molded nylon to my eye.

I would recommend that Linhof change this material to delrin which would be a much stronger mate to the rack gears. (than there is fiberglass filled acetal delrins. . .)

In any case, I feel that your statement that because you haven't heard of this problem occuring should be the position that should be taken by all, very much weakens my respect for your response as a spokesman for Linhof.
    Wilbur,

We have a 5 year warranty on our products. Why would you not have it promptly taken care of by our service people?

As long as the camera is new and not grey market we are more then happy to service it.

And I am sorry, but if the distributor for over 30 years does not get questions about a problem over 30 years then it can not be a "common" problem.

Bear in mind that our everyday users include heavy shooters like Barnbaum, Sexton, Mary Ellen Mark, etc. They are fast to let you know if there is a problem. And they do tell us of problems. Considering the thousands of Technika IV and later models in everyday use we do not see this as a common problem. What we do see are 20, 30 year old Technikas, and older, that have never received a periodic CLA during their lifetime, that have one problem or another which never would have occurred with proper care during their lifetime. This includes stuck back latches, tight gears, etc.. Similar to what would happen if you ran your car for 30 years without periodic maintenance.

Seems to me I had this same problem with my Tech V camera as well. I could be wrong, it's been about 10 years, but I remember sending the camera to Marflex for some sort of problem with the front rise and I'm pretty sure it was this one.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I spent the money to fix once too.

Talk to Martin, Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post

Talk to Martin, Bob.
    I count 6 complaints. Considering the number of Technikas out there 6 is hardly common or a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post

Talk to Martin, Bob.
    Frank, I did. With all the models he sees 12 to 15 repairs a YEAR for a gear rack. Many of which were forced.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    I count 6 complaints. Considering the number of Technikas out there 6 is hardly common or a lot.
    Bob,

There have been 240 viewers of this thread on this forum. If I assume that each viewing is by a separate individual, and each of them own a Technika, than my math says that there is a failure rate of at least one in forty.

That"s not a lot?