Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting tired in the darkroom

Drew Wiley

Re: Getting tired in the darkroom

Every aspect of black and white photography seems so easy compared to serious color work that I hardly think about it. It's recreation.

Big Negs Rock!

Because of the configuration of my darkroom, I sit on a short stool while I work on the enlarger and stand to process the print. The up and down activity helps and the lower leg compression stockings. When a print works, I have extensive notes to get back to it. When it doesn't work, I usually leave the neg in the enlarger and close up/clean up to revisit it the next morning. I "sleep" on it. Works for me.
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

I get wired and don't notice huge passages of time.

Me neither. I'll start around 8pm and have to force myself to go to sleep around 3-4am. I have to go to work at 9, after all...
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I've found proper anti-fatigue mats make a noticeable difference in comfort for long developing/ printing sessions. I have some basic ones from a Canadian hardware store but they're just a stop gap until I get better ones. I plan to get mats similar to those found in restaurants (not the ones with holes mind you) and similar businesses where staff are on their feet for long periods. The first lab I worked in had them and for my first experience, it was quite a revelation.

Fresh air is also key so make sure there's a good exchange in your darkroom. and take breaks as often as you can.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Me neither. I'll start around 8pm and have to force myself to go to sleep around 3-4am. I have to go to work at 9, after all...
    Off topic, but this reminds me of when I was 23, closing down the Hollywood Palladium dancing with my girl friend at 2am three nights a week, get home at 3am, then up for work at 6am. Then one morning her mother (a nurse) said I looked like I had fever, took my temp, 104F, asked if I could drive home ok and get in bed, she'd call their family doctor to come and check me out. Dr arrived at 105F, rubbing feet with alcohol. Asked if I was ok - Sure, I feel "fine." Turns out I was just run down, needed rest. Called into work, doctor's orders to rest until he says to get up. Girl friend comes over and we practice our dance lessons in the living room while I'm "sick." Ah, those were the days!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Every aspect of black and white photography seems so easy compared to serious color work that I hardly think about it. It's recreation.
    OK boys, a real live can–o–worms opener (we been dissed ):

"black and white photography seems so easy" ...And yet rarely is the medium done well.
    "serious color work" ...Puleaze! Interpreting the world in non literal tones is simply beyond some.
    "hardly think about it" ...Seems true enough for you.
    "It's recreation." ...Recreating the world beyond the literal. If you don't enjoy what you're doing, don't.

Drew Wiley

I didn't dis anyone. When I get into black and white I'm probably just as intense as anyone, and at least as nitpicky about the end result. But most of the time you're just cleaning the neg plus the carrier
    glass once per image. The other nite I was working on a master printing dupe (color) which required
    eight precision masks in advance. Then I was turning that into an interneg! Every single step not only
    had to be unblemished but in perfect register, before I can even start to print. Now that particular image was more involved than most, but you should be able to get the point ....

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher D. Keth View Post
    I get wired and don't notice huge passages of time.
    Same here, I'm amazed how time passes when in the darkroom. I usually tone in the same session, but am considering going straight to washing after the last print, picking up the toning activity the next day or so. This would mean that I could get out of the darkroom earlier on already late nights. Oh, and I always clean up thoroughly after each session, regardless of the time (hate sloppy darkroom trays, sink, etc....I'm compelled to clean up, but that's just me).....that's when I really begin to feel tired.

I find that my efficiency and creativity in the darkroom begins waning after a couple of hours. I begin to make little mistakes, and get inordinately annoyed by them. It is best for me to get into the darkroom by 9am, and be done by lunchtime. If I have gotten a finished print by that time, great. If not, the negative will be waiting for me tomorrow morning. And maybe, while I am doing something else in the afternoon, I will get some inspiration to interpret the negative even better.