Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Texture

Re: Texture

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher D. Keth View Post
    Taking a break from making crop circles, Austin?
    Yeah, I think I probably have worn some paths into these fields. I wonder what they look like from above...

Quote Originally Posted by jcoldslabs View Post
    There's Mt. Hood rearing its ugly head again!

Jonathan
    I know, she's always barging into my shots. But isn't that just like a mountain, getting all showy, acting as if she's some big thing...

I have a different take on mountains, it was there before the corn and will remain long after its gone. To me a mountain is an old soul, benignly watching over events. Wiser than wisdom itself. I have a series of mountain pictures from long ago I call soul mountain. But also the soul is a mountain and to be ones self is to recognise the mountain nature of ones soul. Benignly watching over events past and future. I was very influenced by the quest for soul mountain in Gao Xingan's book of the same name. I seem to have forgotten in the last few years.

I was kidding about the mountain. I love Mt. Hood and actually moved my camera a little so that it'd show between the corn stalks. I'm planning on trying to climb it this year. I have not heard of Gao Xingan's book but I might have to check that out.

front door, moro, oregon

Ahh, stucco!

Preston Birdwell

Weathered Lodgepole Pine Pieces

Tachihara 4x5
    180mm Fujinon
    Astia Converted to B&W
    June 2005, recently reworked

There wasn't much color in this, so I decided to see how well it worked in B&W.

Comments welcome.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

very nice
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

That's wonderful Preston.

Yes, very nice shot, it is making me to think going with color and convert to B&W, but now Astia is discontinued, and i heard that color neg has better DR than a slide/transparency film.

Preston Birdwell

Thank you, gents!

"it is making me to think going with color and convert to B&W, but now Astia is discontinued, and i heard that color neg has better DR than a slide/transparency film."

If you are already shooting B&W neg film, I am curious as to why you'd go to the expense of shooting color and then converting to B&W? If you do shoot some color film, converting to B&W can work very nicely, and the end result may be an image with better impact, as is the case with the image I just posted. I have only converted chrome to B&W, and haven't done so with a color neg. I'll have to try it to see how well it works.

Thanks for your comment on the image!

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."