Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lightest possible tripod for 8x10

Drew Wiley

Re: Lightest possible tripod for 8x10

Oh, per the comments of others ... I don't ever use a center column either, and in fact,
    never a tripod head. The camera just sits on the platform, so this need to be nice n' big.
    With the Feisol you can interchange the centerplate, so I simply modified one to accept
    the 3/8" turnbolt, much like on the Ries, though I actually used a stainless 3/8-16 eye
    hook instead of a plastic knob below, so I could add a mesh hand bag full of rocks or cow pies or silly automated DLSR's, just for extra wt if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by muskedear View Post
    If money wasn't an issue, which tripod would be the most light-weight yet still suitable choice for a ca. 8 lb. 8x10 field camera?
    It depends on how heavy the camera is. I've put my Gowland on a Tiltall and if not taxed by wind, it works just fine---I would not put the 'dorff on it however!
    Of course if money wasn't an issue, I'd stick with my Ries and hire the Swedish Bikini Team to carry my gear for me!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I use a Gitzo 3540 XLS for everything, even my 11x14. It's superb.

I use an Induro AT413 for 8x10 and smaller; it weighs about albs, and supports up to 44lbs.
    It's a Gitzo clone, very well-made, and costs around $200 new.

Of course if money wasn't an issue, I'd stick with my Ries and hire the Swedish Bikini Team to carry my gear for me!
    Now that's a thought. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Kuzano View Post
    Whatever you decide on and provided the legs are sturdy enough, remember that you can add to the "anchoring down" aspect by getting part of your weight from the environment at your shooting site. Carry a couple of net shopping bags, or a couple of empty milk containers, and you can hang extra weight by using environmental items. Water from a stream/lake, rocks from surrounding area, bricks at a construction site.

You need to have an eye bolt or hook at the bottom of the tripod (bottom of center post?), and some twine to hang the extra weight (Be green, put the rocks back where you found them and the water back in the stream/lake.)
    If you have such a attachment point available, you can use a bungee cord and just stand on the bottom end of it. Naturally you want to choose the length so that it's taught when you do that, and maybe bend open one of the hooks to make it easier to do so. Faster and weighs very little.