Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: September 2012 portraits

Re: September 2012 portraits

8x10 Arista, Deardorff. Finally got chance to test my new portrait lens, that i at last mounted on board, Dallmeyer 16" Perfac (got from auction for like 35$, about month ago )) Awesome lens. Splendid rendering, just as i like it.

Zoie and Nisah by Sergei Rodionov, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by SergeiR View Post
    8x10 Arista, Deardorff. Finally got chance to test my new portrait lens, that i at last mounted on board, Dallmeyer 16" Perfac (got from auction for like 35$, about month ago )) Awesome lens. Splendid rendering, just as i like it.

Zoie and Nisah by Sergei Rodionov, on Flickr
    Absolutely gorgeous!

Quote Originally Posted by SergeiR View Post
    Yeah - they should have renamed "Perfect"....

This is not a portrait taken in September 2012, but it was scanned for the first time tonight. The story behind it is this:

A number of years ago a good friend from graduate school asked me to photograph her wedding. Many of us have been there, I think, shooting a wedding for a friend, but in my case the only gear I had was a Rolleiflex and a Toyo 4x5 field camera. I expressed my concern that I was not well equipped to perform the task, but she told me she wasn't worried. (Well, I was!) The day arrived and I did what I could, but it was a struggle. When it came time for traditional portraits on the altar I had only one flash, a Nikon SB-24, and one six foot sync cord. I had my wife hold the flash up and off camera while I shot the photos.

It is not my most creative work, but I have a soft spot for it for two reasons. One, the photo has a kind of 1960s vibe to it, or so it seems to me, without any soft boxes or the diffused, bounced light so prevalent in wedding photography these days. (Although, I do wish I'd had a second flash for fill.) Two, and of much more personal significance to me, Karen died of breast cancer a mere seven years after this photo was taken, at the age of 36.

Toyo 45A, Rodenstock 210mm Sironar-N, 4x5 Kodak Vericolor III

Jonathan

I have no idea where I am now.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcoldslabs View Post
    This is not a portrait taken in September 2012, but it was scanned for the first time tonight. The story behind it is this:

A number of years ago a good friend from graduate school asked me to photograph her wedding. Many of us have been there, I think, shooting a wedding for a friend, but in my case the only gear I had was a Rolleiflex and a Toyo 4x5 field camera. I expressed my concern that I was not well equipped to perform the task, but she told me she wasn't worried. (Well, I was!) The day arrived and I did what I could, but it was a struggle. When it came time for traditional portraits on the altar I had only one flash, a Nikon SB-24, and one six foot sync cord. I had my wife hold the flash up and off camera while I shot the photos.

It is not my most creative work, but I have a soft spot for it for two reasons. One, the photo has a kind of 1960s vibe to it, or so it seems to me, without any soft boxes or the diffused, bounced light so prevalent in wedding photography these days. (Although, I do wish I'd had a second flash for fill.) Two, and of much more personal significance to me, Karen died of breast cancer a mere seven years after this photo was taken, at the age of 36.

Toyo 45A, Rodenstock 210mm Sironar-N, 4x5 Kodak Vericolor III

Jonathan
    Fantastic photo, but I am sorry to hear of the loss of a good friend. For all it's worth, in it's most basic form photography is a visual recording medium. This is the essence of "capturing the moment". It is a wonderful photo and thank you for sharing the photo and the story.

Here is two from friday; shot with a Speed Graphic with a Kodak Ekter 203mm f7.7 wide open on positive paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Absolutely gorgeous!
    Thank you, Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    Yeah - they should have renamed "Perfect"....
    , thanks. It was a gamble - couldnt find much info on them, but i figured its not much of cash for 16/6 lens, even without shutter. Its a bit heavy though - solid brass encasing (not as heavy as 420mm heliar, of course, but hey..). Military lens, i presume.

Going to see how it deals with colour - shot two sheets at same time (havent processed yet) b/c outfits had rich colors and i didnt want to loose it completely.

Jonathan, wonderful portrait, perfect skin tone, and just a wonderful sense of depth, not like the cheap wedding photos I see these days!

For me, that's the best portrait I've seen here in a while, it's just "all there." No distractions, no off colors, no silly 1mm DOF. Great job!
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Bryan and Kav,

Thanks for the kind words. The portrait works (for me, at least) because of the the familiarity between me and the subject. There is no stiffness or awkwardness despite it being a very formal "you-stand-there-while-I-focus-the-camera" photograph. Had I been photographing a stranger, I doubt this would have been the case.

Anyway, my wife and I miss her very much. Looking at her wedding photos makes me both sad and happy at the same time. Sharing the image here was a small tribute, I guess.

Jonathan

Retired

I just obtained a beauty of a large brass lens, a Voighlander 17 ˝ F6 Extra Rapid Euryscope. I posted a shot made with a Packard shutter box, but the shutter box added weight to the already heavy Voighlander that at maximum bellow extension was a little much. So, I made a front mounted Packard to reduce the weight.
    On a bright day I set up to make my first shot with this setup, plus using sheet
    ND filters in the waterhouse stop slot. My wife who does not pose for me was in the yard. Without her knowledge I made this shot quickly as she was looking at something in the tree.
    The rear standard moved a little making the focus soft, but I like the shot.

Camera – Kodak Full Plate 6 ˝ x 8 ˝
    Lens – Voighlander – Euryscope 17 ˝ inch at F6
    Film – Ilford HP-4 process in HC110 at 50 to 1

Jack

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jack-H...09348465760954
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Red Working- copy.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by jcoldslabs View Post
    A number of years ago a good friend from graduate school asked me to photograph her wedding.
    You did a good job, Jonathan. It's a very nice photograph, and touching story.