Page 40 of 107 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast

Thread: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

Re: Screen Cezanne Users Unite

Also, if you have not already, try cleaning out the inside of the scanner. These lines may be related to dust on the mirror, which creates interference. This is consistent with the lines running parallel to the sensor. And check your cables. It is possible that data is not being received properly and/or assembled correctly once it leaves the scanner. In my case, once I cleaned out the scanner, and replaced my G3 (bad power supply), most of these lines disappeared.

One other possibility rests with the white strip. Have you checked yours for dirt?
    Peter Y.

Guilherme Maranhão coisasdavida's Avatar

I believe I was able to clean the mirror pretty well.

I'll look into the other stuff.

Good news.
    The first direction I took was to look into memory, scratch disks, that kind of stuff.
    All seemed fine.
    Looking into the preferences of the Color Genius Software I found a check box for Enable High Productivity Mode or something like that.
    Unchecking that solved most of the problem.
    I didn't notice longer scanning times, but something changed.

I did two scans after changing that, the scan area was 23.8x35.8mm. First @ 6000spi, second @ 5300spi. This screenshot shows very little, I guess, but Im inclined to say I like 5300 better.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshotCezanne.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	78411

I found out there are lots of laser cutting shops here in São Paulo. I got a quote from one of them to cut a large rectangle of plastic with 8 slots to tape 35mm film to. As soon as I have installed on the tray I'll grab a picture to show.

One thing that I wasn't able to figure was how to clean the rail underneath the tray. I would believe that rails has its movement measured by a sensor on the block it passes thru. Any ideas?

That's good news.

Regarding cleaning, see: http://www.thepwvhiline.com/FT5000_Clean_Up.jpg
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Changing topics a bit, which of the following two scans do you prefer? They are from a very small section of a 4x5" negative.

“You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Doesn't the top one has better transition from shadows to midtones? I find the one in the bottom with flatter midtones that suddenly turn into blacks.

I agree. The top photo was wet-mounted to a custom optical glass carrier. The bottom one was in a Screen clam-shell holder. The settings for both were exactly the same.

Well another joins the club, i stumbled on a Screen Cezanne Elite A3 Scanner FTS 5500 with a Mac G4 on ebay OZ at a very reasonable price.
    I contacted the seller says it is a goer and came from his son's pre press workplace - only problem i came across is it may need updated scanner software or drivers.
    From the seller >> It will run a diagnostic test from the computer and produce a low res image in the process. Therefore the SCSI connection works.
    However,it seems to be missing a driver as not all the scanning dialogue is available in the "Color Genius" Software.
    I have to drive interstate to get it, the scanner is locked down read to go .. good thing i am semi retired, sleepless nights are a hell of a thing when it all goes wrong

Welcome to the club! Make sure you have help moving the scanner. It's bulky and heavy! Remove the left wing before moving it.

Thanks Peter i'll keep you posted, probably grab it this weekend coming - the seller was genuinely happy that the unit had found a home and further life.