Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shooting style-plan or prospect?

Shooting style-plan or prospect?

If one guy hadn't wasted a few bits of cheese on a 'culture', we wouldn't have Penicillin, another guy wasted some chemicals luckily on a nother spot and we learned how to develop out a latent image, if you previsualize something and it turns out just the opposite and a lot better than you intended it's still your work, and you'd be crazy not to consider it such.

The older I get the more my stuff can come out, somewhere in the ballpark of what I intended, I've also been lucky, and in terms of which is which, I'm not about to tell on myself.
    Jonathan Brewer

www.imageandartifact.bz

I do some of both. I like to revisit places I've photographed and photograph them again under different conditions. At the same time, if I see something interesting, the fact that it wasn't in my plan won't prevent me from photographing it.

Sometimes I play music I've worked up before, and sometimes I sightread something new.

I work as Ralph does: plan ahead but be adaptable enough to go with the flow when things aren't as I expect.

When I'm near home (within 200km) I plan, and yes, my best shots are planned for up to 6 months in advance. But I'll take the lucky shot if I see it!

When I'm not near home, I usually shoot at sunrise and sunset and use the rest of the day to scout for the best subjects and light conditions in which to return to them. A compass for light direction calculations and a GPS are invaluable when I'm scouting.

When I'm shooting, I'll only carry the LF these days, after similar experiences to Garry's.

Cheers,

For my local work, I go out about 80% of the time with a soecific shot in mind: specific scene, specific time of day, specific weather consitions. This plan was arrived at by having seen the location before and making a note of when the scene would look its best. This is a scene that I pre-envisioned and went out specificaly to get: www.gregmillerphotography.com/N000100.htm

Mother Nature has the habit of not being very predictable, so 50% of the time I dont get the scene I wanted. But becuase I am out there I tend to see something I can shoot right then or see something to come back to later. Sort of a self supporting cycle triggered just by making the effort to get out there.
    The other 20% of the time I just go out with nothing specific in mind but I tend not to capture anything useful while out. But I tend to see things that I want to come back for under different conditions.

I normally have a specific destination in mind when I had out with my camera. But once I get there I set up the camera in a area that interet me and then start hunting, looking at the groundglass anad seeing what I can find on it.

Sometimes A, but always B.