Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Kodak discontinue E6 films

Re: Kodak discontinue E6 films

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Syverson View Post
    Jason, you're right about density per stop, but outside of the studio, it's pretty rare to come across a scene that can be contained in chrome's narrow range.
    try open shade

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    try open shade
    Sure, just be careful not to include anything sunny in the background.

I also hesitate to point out that people who shoot a lot of chrome typically aren't shooting portraits in open shade. They're doing punchy landscapes, and having to make difficult decisions about whether to throw away shadow detail or highlight detail. Negative film is simply a better choice for those situations.

Vinny - try the new Portra 160 if you haven't and see what you think. It's pretty nice when you need the range. Both below are Portra 160.

Ben - There are some situations where the actual range is that low. Also, it's not just about what the actual range is, but what the significant range you want to record is, making a creative decision just like setting the white and black point in a digital file.

When they drop c41 films, you're gonna tell me that the next digital slr is better than c41
    When they drop color neg then I will buy a decent DSLR, whether it will be better or not will be moot. I have no doubts my current digital is worse than film ;-p It actually makes a good proofing device.

John's point about fitting the scene into the tonal range of the film makes sense, so perhaps shots in flatter light, open shade, are technically better with chromes than negs.

Back to the topic sort of though, it's a shame they killed off E6 but better that than negs!

Quote Originally Posted by SamReeves View Post
    Don't hold your breath on Kodak's C-41 line sticking around. I think they shall be gone alltogether soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Syverson View Post
    I don't see any evidence of that. Kodak has stated that they want to re-focus on film, and "film" means C41, E2 and RA4. If anything, I would worry about B&W in LF sizes.
    I don't see any evidence of it either. I think Kodak was being truthful about sticking with film for the short term. This announcement fits in, because they still need to trim the film that doesn't bring in the profit, and E6 has been a small minority for a long time. C41 is film bread and butter. I'd be more worried about losing black and white than C41.

But I'm not worried about black and white, large format or otherwise. I prefer Tri-X in medium format but if I lose it I will stock up on HP5+ and continue to shoot. I prefer TMY-2 in LF but likewise, if it goes away I will just happily switch to HP5 +. Yes, I know, TMY is way finer grained (don't care, in 4x5, some folks may, especially if they print much larger than I do) and yes, I know that the reciprocity characteristics of HP5 are not as good. There is still Acros for that, albeit it starts out two stops slower. And photographers made wonderful large format images in black and white before TMX/TMY/T-grain anything. There may be a few images we'll have to pass up, but the vast majority will still be made.

I think it's the very rare image, if any, that can only be successfully captured on one film.

Kodak doesn't make a c41 sheet film (ektar discontinued in 8x10, 4x5 will be next)suited for landscapes. I shot some portra* vc once with long exposures. The color cast was horrid and the grain much more appartent than 100 speed chrome. E100G was great for a lot of things, landscapes being one of them.

*pretty sure Portra is short for portrait so for Frank's work, it's the right tool for the job if you can't control the light or don't want to control it.

When they drop c41 films, you're gonna tell me that the next digital slr is better than c41
    Ektar 100.

I haven't shot LF color in a long time (or, more accurately, haven't processed it or had it processed, I have a few sheets to get done) but in medium format and 35mm I'm shooting Portra 400 and loving it. I don't see much difference from 160 honestly, and the extra 1-1/3 stops is useful. If you want more saturation go to Ektar.

Now if Kodak does stop making C41, large format color is hosed here in North America, at least unless and until Fuji brings C41 in sheets back or someone else makes a C41 sheet film.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    John's point about fitting the scene into the tonal range of the film makes sense, so perhaps shots in flatter light, open shade, are technically better with chromes than negs.

Back to the topic sort of though, it's a shame they killed off E6 but better that than negs!
    amen to your first sentence.

I shoot a mix of b+w and chrome with the occasional c41 neg thrown in for fun. I shoot chromes in soft light or back light and the rest in other conditions. The right tool for the job. In soft light, side by side on the computer screen, I prefer the results from the chrome every time. This works for me so suck it!

John R. those shots look great, I really like the first example.

I wonder what the chances are that Fuji decides to continue production of Astia now that E100G is being discontinued.

Quote Originally Posted by John Rodriguez View Post
    I wonder what the chances are that Fuji decides to continue production of Astia now that E100G is being discontinued.
    I talked with Rodney Lough Jr.s wife a couple weeks ago, and she said Rodney was now shooting 50% digital because because his stash of Fuji E6 is running low, and after it's gone it will be 100% digital.She told me me Rodney is a Fuji sponsored artist, but that Fuji was discontinuing it's E6 film, and that any more Fuji E6 that's available is already out in the market place.

I'm a little confused as I talked to Jeff at Badger just the other day, and he says they have both Provia and Velvia on order with an expected arrival around may.I have never shot color film period in 8x10, and have 10 sheets of Provia and 10 sheets of Velvia 100f in the fridge.I'm thinking maybe I should sell the E6 and buy some Portra 160 instead.Don't want to fall in love with a film that's not available after 10 shots.

Chris, don't get rid of that film! Shoot it and enjoy it. There's really something special about an 8x10 transparency! I'm not the biggest E6 fan, but you can't deny the impact it has in-person.