Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Little problem, help!

Re: Little problem, help!

The source of the problem might be anywhere at this point, and you are right not to discount anything until you have eliminated possibilities. A methodical approach solved my specific issue, one that I had not seen or encountered before. If you take nothing else from my story, at least appreciate that these kinds of issues are often only solved with a very logical look at your particular workflow. Maybe invite someone who can objectively watch you work, from film loading through shooting, to developing.

Should the issue eventually be narrowed down to your boxes, light may be entering from anywhere they may be compromised – corners and sides most often. But you can easily eliminate the boxes as the problem right off, by simply definitively making them "lightproof" or dark bagging your exposures at little or no cost.

If nothing pans out, go ahead and blame the f%#$ing lab! I'm sure they will be happy to have you develop your own film...

Believe me, I dont want to blame the lab, since I have been working with them for a couple of years already with good results in MF and 35mm. Large format processing stores in Spain are becoming rare and expensive. I just want to know what went wrong.

Today I delevopped 12 plates in BW at home. I used the same holders, camera, lenses, work flow until I took the film tout of the holders (it went direct into a paterson tank instead than going into the film box). All the images seem flawless.

Does the shape of the stain in the last image I attached give you guys any ideas?

I agree with Lynn Jones. Having shot thousands of sheets of LF since the mid sixties and made many trips to the lad with my film in nothing more than a three piece box I've never had fog. I never used the black bag or taped more than a small strip of tape to hold the box shut. I even carried the film in the front seat of my car.

I have however had the lab fog my film. The last time was due to some device on in the darkroom that emitted a low level of light. The lab finally confessed it was the LEDs from another piece of equipment.

A good way to tell if the fog wading camera is to look at the edges where the film goes under the rails and flap. If its clear of fog it most likely happened in camera otherwise it happened before or after exposure and loading.

Drums,

I'm still heavily leaning toward lab problems with this, either processing technique, or light leaks (which I question on the first set but am open to on the one with the grid pattern).

One possible troubleshooting method, after absolutely ruling out your own loading and handling techniques, would be to take in a few sheets of unexposed film, or better yet, a fresh and unopened box of new film, and have them process six or so sheets to see if anything turns up. If it does, it should be easier to track the source to what they are doing wrong. Also, ask specifically if they are tray processing, and if so, are they stacking the sheets or running them individually. My one and only experience in tray processing black and white film years ago, resulted in chemical patterns in the emulsion because I failed to keep them separated, resulting in odd whirling shapes where chemistry did not flow properly and caused uneven development. It also resulted in a decision to only use tanks that keep the film completely separated so as to avoid that kind of problem in the future. With color film, that could cause uneven colors even if the base exposure came through....depends on the timing and processing stage of where film missed proper agitation or partially bonded with the back of another sheet.

You also might forward some of these images to another lab or labs that you trust for an independent analysis. They may be able to look at them via email and tell you a better opinion than all of us put together. If you do this, be sure to have a lab that specializes in processing your type of film, say either E-6 or C-41 since the processing steps will vary. Before doing that though, be sure you verify what type of processing equipment your current lab uses for large format, so that the consulting lab can understand where problems might occur.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Thanks to all for your helpful replies. There are so many possibilities that I gues it will be impossible to find out exactly what the problem is (especially if the lab denies any responsability). I have decided to give the lab a second chance. I will be extra thorough and careful when loading and unloading the olders and I will put the film in a black light sealed bag from a photo paper box before putting it in the three piece box. If the next negs come like these, the fault will definitely be the lab's. I hope not, since I like their service.

Thank you all again.