Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Small Spotmeter Suggestions?

Re: Small Spotmeter Suggestions?

Ditto on the Pentax V you can also get Soligor used on the market from time to time. the Gossen Luna Pro does have a spot meter attachment too. These are not tiny like the pocket spot however they are not heavy and easy to carry. The Pentax V used prices are the same as the new price from 30 years ago!
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.

You could use this digital camera as a light meter. It has a 18X zoom lens so it can be used as a spot meter as well.

It's size is only 4.1x2.4. Smaller than most light meters.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...0/CPS9100A.HTM

--------------------------------------

Take

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37042223@N08/

HHChapman

Take,

I like your proposal to use the little digicam as a light meter. Makes my head spin: To take out the highly capable little digicam, use it to meter, put it away, make the manual settings on the 35mm cam. and shoot the film would feel really odd on a bunch of levels.

Probably the best solution would be to practice more using both my spot and incident meters while shooting to get more comfortable with the incident meter. It isn't much bigger than an Oreo and it works well.

And why the heck am I shooting any 35mm anyway? That BW film aesthetic is powerful driver.....

-Harlan

www.hhchapman.com

I used a digital camera as a meter successfully and still refer to it, but the Pentax Digital Spot is pretty much the gold standard and I was happy to re-purchase one after being out in the wilderness....

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Chapman View Post
    Thank you all for your help.
    Has anyone had experience with one of the spotmeter apps for the iPod/iPhone? If one was quick and accurate it would fit the bill nicely.
    -Harlan
    I use Light Meter Pro for iPhone. Not quite a spot meter but it does have enough functionality that you can get your exposure spot on in most circumstances. I tested my Pentax spot meter against it and was confident enough with it's accuracy that I used the iPhone as a meter exclusively during a trip to New Orleans. I used it for street photography with my RB67. A few dozen rolls of film exposed and the results were excellent.

My small spotmeter is an older sekonic L-438, it is considerably smaller and lighter than the pentax spot-V, but not quite as accurate. It has a mechanical movement that uses a motor to move the indicator so is somewhat battery hungry.
    James

Old School Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Walker View Post
    I use Light Meter Pro for iPhone. Not quite a spot meter but it does have enough functionality that you can get your exposure spot on in most circumstances. I tested my Pentax spot meter against it and was confident enough with it's accuracy that I used the iPhone as a meter exclusively during a trip to New Orleans. I used it for street photography with my RB67. A few dozen rolls of film exposed and the results were excellent.
    My Pentax V doubles as my iPhone. It really helps keep calls under control when I'm out in the field and don't want to be bothered, and its an awesome spot meter to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    My Pentax V doubles as my iPhone. It really helps keep calls under control when I'm out in the field and don't want to be bothered, and its an awesome spot meter to boot.
    Hahaha ditto