Page 230 of 1738 FirstFirst ... 1301802202282292302312322402803307301230 ... LastLast
Results 2,291 to 2,300 of 17380

Thread: safe haven for tiny formats

Re: safe haven for tiny formats

Here's a couple of very different images. First is a camera-clubish digi-snapshot done with a Nikon L100 of my two housemates; should have skewed it a little more in PS. The cat is a sweet Persian mix, and the rabbit is a gentle non-hand-biting Rhinelander-dwarf mix. They get along quite well and often schmooze side-by-side for long periods. (The cat's eyes are actually clear--rabbit's odd-looking nose is because it is actually partly DETACHED, evidently from a bite by another critter.)

The second is a scan of a small crookedly-masked 3.25x4.25" vintage photo found in an antique store. On the back is the name "Floyd Hearst". Appears to be of a young railroad telegrapher--with a strong loupe I can barely make out on the chart behind him: BUFFALO, ROCHESTER & PITTSBURGH RAILWAY TIME TABLE. On his table is a "sounder"--basically a normally-open relay mounted on a hollow base; its clicking-and-clucking sounds were used to copy Morse code. Barely visible with a loupe are two "straight keys" on the right side of the sounder. I believe the odd device immediately beneath the chart is a magnetic strip with three pens or pencils held in metal cases--having sent and copied ham radio Morse code, pencils always seem to break at the wrong times, so evidently this telegrapher has extras.

The telgraph office looks somewhat rustic: the left side of his table appears to be supported by a wooden crate. The vertical wooden beam to the left of the chart appears under magnification to be unpainted and quite rough-looking, with hammer-head "owls eyes" visible.

Curiously, in the far left of the photo is the edge of a well-made desk--quite the opposite of the young telegrapher's improvised desk. Also on the far left is what appears to be a wall-mount bracket for a missing kerosene lamp; I've seen simalar ones in antique stores. I suspect the low-left light source was flash powder, but don't know for sure. There's only one catch-light visible in his eyes, and I don't think powerful incandesent light bulbs were in wide use when this circa 1900 photo was taken, so I assume flash powder was used.

Lastly, either there is a negative emulsion defect over the young man's earlobe, or he has a large cyst/wart on his ear--can't tell for sure.

Re: France trip 2011

Some more from the same outing in the land of Armagnac

P67 75/4.5 Shift Across100 Pyrocat HD

P67 200/4 Shift Across100 Pyrocat HD

P67 75/4.5 Shift Across100 Pyrocat HD

Cheers,

Luc
    Field # ShenHao XPO45 - Monorail # Sinar P, F2
    [CENTER]6x6 # Minolta 1965 Autocord, 6x9 # Kodak 1946 Medalist II

Quote Originally Posted by austin granger View Post
    This truck has a lot of potential, I trust that you will go back for a full session.

Talking of cars returned to Mother Nature, here is one of mine

Minolta Autocord TMY2@1600 Tmax Developer

Cheers,

Luc

Great composition Luc!

I suppose I cannot post these in the alt process thread. I read through the debate at the beginning of the thread and they decided no smaller formats even given the scarcity of good places to talk about alt processes.

Kallitype print - Great Sand Dunes NP

D300s original
    Pictorico OHP digital negative
    4x6 print on Arches Platine

Switching from a glass rod to brush has helped immensely in the coating. Also using 6 uv bulbs is much better than the sun and still cheap. Much heavier piece of glass compared to my first attempts so the prints are sharper. All is starting to come together! Now I just need to perfect some negatives for the gold/palladium toner that comes tomorrow .

Thank you Austin for the comment on flickr.
    My website Flickr
    "There is little or no ‘reality’ in the blacks, grays and whites of either the informational or expressive black-and-white image" -Ansel Adams

Wondeful image, Zaitz,

I use a combination of rod and brush. I start with four or so passes with the rod just to establish the coating area, and then I finish it off with a brush. Seems to take advantage of the best of both tools.

Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Wondeful image, Zaitz,

I use a combination of rod and brush. I start with four or so passes with the rod just to establish the coating area, and then I finish it off with a brush. Seems to take advantage of the best of both tools.

Vaughn
    Thanks and that may be a good idea! I had problems with the edge of my rod causing minor scratches across the paper though. If I pressed any lighter the rod didn't want to pick up all the sensitizer and left gaps. So far I am only doing max 8x10 prints. But soon I'll try venturing to ~16x20. I just bought more than enough chemicals so I gotta use it up!
    My website Flickr
    "There is little or no ‘reality’ in the blacks, grays and whites of either the informational or expressive black-and-white image" -Ansel Adams

Evy nohy (Eva's legs) by ypres.bass, on Flickr

Bronica SQ+80/2.8
    Fuji Neopan 400 in R09 1+50
    Stanislav Kolarik _ PHOTOGRAPHY
    Your sheet is black. It's exposed correctly? ___ Yes, it's my autoportrait in darkroom...

While we're on the subject...
    "Amandas Legs"

What do you do when you are bored waiting for your next plane at the airport.
    You get strip searched by airport security no just joking

On the other hand it is a lot nicer to stroll in the street of Provence

Cheers,

Luc