Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A good cheap light for looking at prints?

A good cheap light for looking at prints?

Just setting up my office now. There's basically no light in here at all. I'm looking for something good to look at prints with. Any suggestions?

My budget: as very cheap as I can get away with. Not much left after I bought this big printer...

Re: A good cheap light for looking at prints?

Look for a daylight corrected lamp at someplace like IKEA, Michaels, Dick Blick or Aaron Bros.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Big Negs Rock!

There are color temperature correct fluorescent tubes that are both cheap and easily mounted. I have a 3200*K and a 5600*K in the same fixture and have it over a bulletin board to look at my prints. I've attached a fuzzy iPhone image with my wife modeling in the space. ;-)
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Although not exactly "cheap," this is what I use:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...er_PDV_1E.html

Thomas

In the darkroom I use a hanging 4' shop type two tube fluorescent fixture from Home Depot/Lowe's etc. Out of the darkroom I view prints on the kitchen table. It has a 300W tungsten hanging fixture during evening hours, and a large bank of windows facing northeast during daylight. It works.

I use these in the darkroom.

If you're selling prints, or with the intention to sell them, OR just want the best "viewing conditions", you might want to look at getting some quality lights to view/check your prints with.

If you are planning to frame and hang them for display, I'd recommend viewing thema nd profiling your printer, for the proper color balance under those chosen lighting conditions. Many photographers(including myself) who have framed and hung their work for display/show, balance their printing for HALOGEN(3200K). "Daylight" lightsources, IMO, can usually be too blue. And using flourescent lights(or CFLS's) gives weird color crossover issues, especially with color prints.

-Dan

Get a couple of Solux bulbs, either SoLux 3500K or SoLux 4700K. You can use them in any spot fixture with a standard base.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I used a GATF/RHEM light indicator to check my light source, a simple 60W GE Reveal frosted incandescent. It's not 5,000K.

But GE also makes a 60W equivalent Reveal CFL, and I tried them both.

Together, they seem to satisfy the light indicator. So for cheap, you could buy one of each and use them together -- and get "close" to 5,000K.

Even if it doesn't work for you, you can always put the bulbs to use somewhere else...

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    Get a couple of Solux bulbs, either SoLux 3500K or SoLux 4700K. You can use them in any spot fixture with a standard base.
    SoLux bulbs are really great for color critical work.

As they are hard to come by in Europe, I've chosen bulbs from Philips ("Philips Diamondline"), which are licensed versions of the SoLux bulbs. The also come in 3500K, 4100K, and 4700K, and have a Color Rendering Index of 100 Ra8.

I am using these bulbs (mostly 4700K) in a low voltage monorail rail fixture, as well as in a desk lamp.

Cheers,
    Andreas
    To infinity - and beyond...