Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wide Angle starter lens for landscape 75? 90? 105? 125? 135?

Wide Angle starter lens for landscape 75? 90? 105? 125? 135?

I agree with the 125mm Fujinon suggestion. If I had only one lens for landscape, this would be it. If I had only one lens for architecture, it would be a 90mm (f 8.0 Nikkor is what I use). I also have a 65 and 75, but I use them a lot less. You will get them eventually if you need them, but your first lens should be more versatile (a less exaggerated perspective). Think about the great photographs by Strand, Weston, Atget- none of them done with really wide lenses.

As far as being able to focus a 65/75/90, remember that depth of field increases as focal length decreases. Shorter lenses are generally easier to focus due to their great depth of field.

If you like extreme near/far shots then the wider the better, for a wider view than normal of a landscape then a 125 is a good choice. The Fuji F5.6 W lens has very little room for movement, maybe an inch so don't expect much rise. The larger version of 125mm for 5x7/8x10 is better and one that I settled with. I'd pull the lens out and give you all the info but its underneath a bunch of stuff an LA is like an oven today!!

A cheap way to see if its a lens you really want to buy is to go to a camera rental place and ask to try a lens or two in the store to get an idea of angle of view, find the one that appeals to you then rent it for the weekend.

I followed the same formula as everyone did and thought that since I shot a 28mm on my 35 all the time a 90mm would be perfect for 4x5. I think I used that expensive chunk of glass three times for the entire three years I had it, it was just too much of a 'wide' view for me.

Good Luck though!

CP Goerz

"If you want the Muench 'look', get the 75."

Crikey - I can't think why anyone would want the "muench" look

I have a 90 that gets used regualry for architecture - I find it too wide for most landscape work.

The Fuji 105/125 or even 135 would be good choices. They are usually very good value fo money

try MPEX or KEH

check out the fuji specs here

http://members.aol.com/subgallery/byfl.htm

110 Schneider XL. Almost covers 8x10. What good is a wide that can`t shift more than a few degrees? Very sharp. Its got the German glass tones like Zeiss and Leica have. About equal to a 30 mm lens in small 35mm format.

I started some years ago with a 90mm and still use that length and a 65mm more than any others. Next comes 210. I tend to like the 20mm focal length or thereabouts in 35mm. The darkness of the screen can be a shock at first but you can get used to it. A faster lens will help if you don't mind the much greater cost and size of these lenses.

Hi Ag,

I was in your shoes a few months ago and spent countless hours researching this issue. Since I moved to LF primarily for the image quality, I was persuaded by favorable reviews of the Schneider 110 XL and purchased this lens from Jim at Midwest Photo Exchange. Despite the price tag, I haven't regretted it for a second. For me, this is the perfect lens for general-purpose landscape photography. It is reasonably wide but not wide enough to produce any perceivable distortion. My favorite focal length in 35mm is 24mm but for whatever reason I have rarely encountered a situation in which the 110 XL was not wide enough for my needs. It has a huge image circle that will allow far more generous movements than any of the wider lenses you listed. It is bright and easy to focus. And to drive Scott's point home, it is ludicrously sharp, sharper than any of my 35mm lenses and noticeably better than my excellent Fujinon 240 A. For me, the 110 XL has obviated the need for 90 and 135 mm lenses. I will eventually purchase a wider lens (probably 75mm) but I anticipate using this far less often than the 110 XL.

I echo others in advising not going too wide when you start. As was noted previously, you often get too much foreground, and objects in the background end up much smaller than you might have thought. In addition, although you get more depth of field, you may still have problems with getting what you want in focus. Wide angle lenses are more sensitive to small shifts in tilt or swing angle, and since often the standards will be slightly out of alignment, that will show up in your pictures. Finally, even if you are used to using wide angle lenses in smaller formats, their use in LF photography may involve a steep learning curve.

Hi Ag,

The first lens that you should buy is the one that you will use most. If you like 75mm, then buy it. With practise you will learn to use whatever you buy. A f/4.5 lens will be easier to focus then a f/8 lens. I started with a f/4.7 127mm lens and now I use a f/9 150mm lens. The first was easier to focus the the second is fine as well - even 15-20 minutes after sunset. If you are looking at either a 75mm or 90mm lens I recommend taking a look at the Calter branded Grandagon f/6.8. They are a decent value and a bit brighter than the Super Angulon f/8. The 75mm is a bit tight for movements but the 90mm has plenty.

I'd start with a humble and inexpensive Rodenstock Sironar-N or APO-Sironar (newer version) 135mm f/5.6. True that it doesn't have much extra coverage, but for landscape you don't usually need the coverage - a little back tilt does 90% of what most people need. It is relatively inexpensive, and later, when you buy more lenses, it fills the gap between a real wide angle and a longer lens quite nicely. Did I mention it is slightly wide angle, bright on most fresnels, and sharp as a tack? It will probably be the sharpest lens you'll ever own. About $400 on eBay for a mint example. Oh, and it is very compact - it will fold up inside most folding 4x5 cameras.

The 110XL is great but should you really start with such an expensive lens?

When you tried out that 90mm f8, your pupils may not have been fully open. It takes awhile to happen and lots of people new to large format expect to be able to use the groundglass before their eyes are ready. This said, it is easier, of course, to use a longer focus, wider aperture lens.