Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Homeland security blues

Homeland security blues

If you're worried that a domestic USA issue is not relevant to your interests, don't read the thread! But, at least for the million or so serious photographing in the USA, getting stopped for photographer - right or wrong - is still an important issue (I think.)

Homeland security blues

I've been stopped a couple of times during the past 3 years by both "real" cops and by rent-a-cop for shooting innocent pictures on public property. On more than one occasion, I felt like I was being treated like a convicted criminal when I was well within my rights as a citizen to be where I was and doing what I was doing. I don't like it, but I now carry an "ACLU Bust Card" and "The Photographer's Right" flyer (http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm) in my camera case.

Not that it matters, but it took the Bush II administration to change me from a Republican into a Democrat...

Homeland security blues

He's not helping his situation much:

http://brownequalsterrorist.com

He does have some great pictures of the area.
    The only trouble with doin' nothing is you can't tell when you get caught up

Homeland security blues

"He's not helping his situation much: http://brownequalsterrorist.com"

I disagree, I think he's doing the right thing. An out of control rent-a-cop with a large dog engaging in what is essentially racial profiling isn't something I'm comfortable with. I don't blame him for making a stink.

Homeland security blues

Out of control anything is uncomfortable, especially terrorism. One thing's for certain, his approach (using counter-culture conduit like The Stranger) isn't going to slow the terrorists, but most likely increase their resolve.
    The only trouble with doin' nothing is you can't tell when you get caught up

Homeland security blues

Here in the Los Angeles area it's been a real pain too... Especialy in the Peoples Republic of Santa Monica... Ya know, this is exactly what the terrorists want!

Homeland security blues

I want to touch on what Jonathan posted earlier...

It's true; in a news conference, former California Governor, Gary Davis (aka Governor "low Beam") said that someone taking pictures in the airport could possibly be an art student or a terrorist, and since there was no way for the average citizen to know, he advised that if you are at the airport and see someone taking pictures, contact either security or the police department and report it just as a precaution... Like I said... exactly what the terrorists want.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Homeland security blues

I came across this in the Seattle Times. Yeah, Ian could have avoided all of this by showing his ID the second time he was confronted at the locks, and then there wouldn't have been a third time with eight officers on one photographer.

I don't have a problem with officers inquiring about activities. However, I do have a problem with the eight-on-one, especially when its for nothing more than a show of force. The incident makes them look like bullying idiots, and undermines their credibility. The Homeland Security agent B.S.-ed Ian about a non-existant law prohibiting photography of federal property.

Most of you probably haven't seen the Ballard locks. As terrorist targets go, they would have really low value. If the locks don't operate then the only thing that happens is that latte-toting yuppies on pleasure boats are inconvenienced. The area gets photographed a lot, by many people, every day. There is a rail bridge, but that's still a lousy target. It would take too much effort for too little effect.

Hassling people for fun is not what law enforcement is supposed to do. I really think that they identified him during the second contact as a student doing a photography assignment. The third contact was a show of force, and nothing more. There was no need for it at all.

This incident will do nothing more than hamper the local police. The Seattle police have previously been directed to not do any racial profiling, to such an extent that the beat cops don't want to interact with minorities. That's the local climate. This is only going to be fuel for local activists.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Jean-Louis Llech

Homeland security blues

There are two different points about photography and patriot act :

First, the act of photographing with a large format camera, a tripod and 50 lb of photographic gear is not the most discreet way to get informations about federal buildings, bridges and railway stations.
    If I had to collect such confidential or strategic informations, I would better use a van with tinted glasses, a 35mm SLR and a 600mm tele, park the van at a half mile from the target, and end all the operation within an hour.
    Of course, if I were paranoiac, I would think that a terrorist would reason like that to collect informations without giving birth to suspicions.

Second, the color of the photographer's skin is probably somewhere important. I'm not sure that security agents would have had the same attitude with a Norwegian-looking man with blond hair, white skin and blue eyes.
    That's a pity, but I am sure I'm not wrong. In France, police forces have exactly the same attitude. In an airport, as I stayed in a queue among other people, some security agents asked several people for ID.
    As I have an "aryan look", a white skin and blue eyes, they ignored me, but I noticed all people who were controlled were either arabs, africans or other people with dark skin.
    In France, we use to call it "Délit de sale gueule" (something I could translate as "dirty face offence")

About this thread, are you aware that all what is written here has probably been read and analyzed by some security service agents, as soon as several words have been written : 9/11, arabs, TSA, terrorists, bomb, ground zero ?
    We don't have to go outdoors with a camera and a tripod to see where a part of our freedom is ending.

Beverly Hills, California

Homeland security blues

I consider myself African American – ‘black’ as they say. I look like the guy in the article, because I am half black and half white by ethnicity like him. Although I must say I am the more handsome :>)

I know that many white photographers on this forum have been hassled by the police/security, so I won't say the man's problem was entirely due to race. But I have to tell you that I get stopped/question about 80% of days I just go out to shoot something in public for any extended period of time. I'm sure this is much higher than my white brethren on this site. The reasons for such a high percentage I believe are:

1) I am in L.A., people either want to get paid because you're shooting someplace where they work/live/play or as security guards they want impress their boss that they interrogated you knowing damn well that you're not doing anything wrong. So this has nothing to do with race obviously.

2) People see I am a minority and perhaps unconsciously assign me the 'second class citizen' status, and hence assume they can give me less decent treatment, and that I will be afraid of the authorities should they decide to call them. I'm sure they also conclude (incorrectly) that I will be less likely to make a legal stink over being harassed.

How do I respond to being harassed? Let me give you a few honest examples:

Recently 5 muscular Dreadlock African American men surrounded me at Venice beach because they thought I was paparazzi with my Nikon 300 2.8 sport lens, and told me they wanted to take me in an alley to kick my ass because they didn’t like me shooting their bongo drum circle festivity. I stood firm, told them I am an amateur photographer and that photography was my passion. I then hinted that I was carrying a concealed gun in the lens case, with a permit to so carry it (a ruse). They quickly left me alone and haven't bothered me on subsequent visits.

A few months ago, while shooting publics works building from the sidewalk in Beverly Hills, the department manager himself came outside to tell me that I couldn't shoot the bldg. and then threatened to call the Beverly Hills police. I got the man's business card, left, and walked to the police station myself and started a paper trail with the sergeant on duty. I eventually sent certified letters of the incident to the supervisor's supervisor and city attorney's office. Within days, I received a formal written apology from the supervisor.

Coincidently, I saw him again last week while riding my bicycle. He recognized me immediately and greeted me with, "Good morning Mr. Noble!" despite being 20 years my senior. (He was actually a very nice guy.)

Bottom line is I am not a terrorist. I don’t intend to pay for their sins. Photography is my passion. I am a very passionate person. Don't bother me. I will give you a handful one way or another if you try to keep me from engaging my hobby.