Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Belerbach with ball/socket head

Re: Belerbach with ball/socket head

For Deardorff 8x10 you would need a tripod from Belebach's beefier Uni range (like Ries A100 series), they have a wider top plate too, and which would match a big ball-head you would need with that camera.

I mount my Rittreck metal 5x7 on a lighter Report 2032 (ie no centre column), with a 60mm top plate. The tripod weighs 2.9 kls, and is rated up to 15 kls load factor. I have the levelling ball, it needs a lot of tightening to block the camera, and I wouldn't fancy a heavy 8x10 on it, maybe a Canham.

I wish I had got the 2032P with rotating panoramic plate, but you can still pan the camera without loosening the ball lock a la Ries, ie slightly unscrew the central tripod screw underneath while turning the camera. It's a fine tripod, made of ash so should resist water well.

In my view it sits between the Ries J100 and J-100/2 for sturdiness. Same ease of use 2-section sliding legs. For many uses the levelling ball is fine. However for ease of mounting the camera to the tripod I got a Berlebach quick release system, their plates can mount a mix of 1/4 and 3/8 screws (which Arca Swiss don't have).

"I got a Berlebach quick release system, their plates can mount a mix of 1/4 and 3/8 screws (which Arca Swiss don't have)."
    Novoflex, Giottos and Berlebach Arca compatible plates are all available with both 1/4 and 3/8" thread screws and many of the Novoflex and Giottos plates are supplied with both screws.

Quote Originally Posted by rich caramadre View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has any experience with using a Belerbach tripod with the ball/socket only. No head. I'd be using it with a deardorff 8x10.
    Thanks, Rich
    Hi Rich,

I have used the 1032 for several years with Canham Traditional 8x10. Solid tripod and it resists any rotational torque. I use the built in ball head, for landscape it's all that I need. This way the camera is close to the tripod. The 1/4" screw is more than adequate and has a knob under the ball head for tightening. I twist the camera an 1/8 of a turn and it's solid to the base.

Using a heavy (1.85 Kilo / 4 lbs) 480mm lens is not an issue. In fact with this tripod one can easily setup a monopod to tie the front of the camera to the tripod to prevent any 'teeter toter" motion.

Not sure about dunking it in the water. Suggest a good coating of wax before doing this. The joint where the feet and wood come together would have to be sealed. I think that would be the main concern, water penetration in the wood where it joins the metal and can't properly dry out.

_ .. --
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Povlick View Post
    I have used the 1032 for several years with Canham Traditional 8x10. Solid tripod and it resists any rotational torque. I use the built in ball head, for landscape it's all that I need. This way the camera is close to the tripod. The 1/4" screw is more than adequate and has a knob under the ball head for tightening. I twist the camera an 1/8 of a turn and it's solid to the base.
    Same good experience here with a 2032 and 4x5. The only think I would do differently is purchasing the 3032 instead of the 2032. I am 6' and the tripod is too short. It is however perfect for a waist level finder on my Hasselblad.

Cheers,

Luc
    Field # ShenHao XPO45 - Monorail # Sinar P, F2
    [CENTER]6x6 # Minolta 1965 Autocord, 6x9 # Kodak 1946 Medalist II

I recently bought a 2042 for my Kardan JBL. It has two-section legs, a 50 cm centre column and built-in leveling ball which gives 30 degree movement in all directions. I also bought the 57 mm quick-release coupling to make it more user-friendly.

So far I haven't found it limiting in landscape work, but can imagine some situations where not having a three-way head would be a problem. I'll see how it works out over time before parting with another 500 hard-earned bucks. On the matter of height, I'm also 6' and find it plenty big enough with the column fully extended, which would not often be required. I also bought a 10 cm centre column to allow working closer to the ground. So far I think it's a very satisfactory tripod, beautifully made, and I'm looking forward to giving it more work.

Barry.

still use one and went to a 3 way over the ball head as its easier to level the camera than a ball head.
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.

Many three-way heads are top heavy on a Berlebach Report tripod (even on the 2032 or 2042 which have among the best load rating). The tripod top plate diameter is only 60mm, whereas even Berlebach's (strong and heavy) 3 way head is 90mm diameter to match their Uni range tripods. The Linhoff 3663 3-way head is a better fit, lighter and with only a 75mm diameter. It also has the easy to use clamp-in quick release system. The best ball heads for LF (say Arca Swiss and RRS amongst others) also have a wider diameter of c. 75mm, so they also overhang the Report tripod, but are not quite so top heavy on these tripods.

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by cdholden View Post
    Jerold,
    How well sealed was the Berlebach against water? Did you ever put it in standing water (rivers, lakes, ocean ,etc)?

I've used my Berlebach a few times in standing water. I just wiped it down well after using and applied a little oil to any bare metal. Main thing to watch out for is beavers.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by cdholden View Post
    Jerold,
    How well sealed was the Berlebach against water? Did you ever put it in standing water (rivers, lakes, ocean ,etc)?
    Chris
    i have been owning a berlebach report 3032 for the last 3,5 years and altough i just recently (august 2010) have been getting into largeformat, i have been using the berlebach quite intensly over the time with a dslr with lenses from 10 to 600mm in for various occasions in various locations - including heavy snow, heavy rain, hard frost, lakes, sea, rivers, torrents. i am not to careful with handeling my tripods, since i regard them as tools. i stood in partly frozen rivers, while the air was well below zero degrees, i put it between rocks, used it as a support while climbing down, had it standing in lakes for hours.

but to the day my berlebach is as rugged as it was when i bought it. owning a sinar system, i now try to avoid using the collum, since it is not too vibrant-free, altough nice to compose (especially when the enviroment does not allow for completely liberated choice of place; e.g. in rivers, lakes, on rocks etc.)

pm me if you want further information (but since i do nottoo regularly check my computer, it can take some days).

regards,
    jonathan