Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where to buy 120 film

Where to buy 120 film

Hey everyone, had a mundane question about buying 120 film. I live in Hawaii and have just started using a 120 panoramic camera. I only get 4 to 5 shots per roll of film so I go through rolls rather quickly. Forced to buy off line due to limited/no availability on the island, Does anyone know of a good place online to buy 120 film. BHPhoto and Adorama are the only two places I have found and both seem to be out of stock all the time. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Brisbane, Australia

Re: Where to buy 120 film

www.samys.com

www.bhphotovideo.com

www.adorama.com

www.amazon.com

www.ebay.com LOTS OF SELLERS HERE IN LA, great prices too

www.freestylephoto.biz A little higher price-wise, but usually in stock for most things

I'm sure there's many others though

-Dan

Calumet Photographic, Chicago, IL. Two months ago, I bought 200 rolls of TMX - in stock and at my door in three days. Earlier this year I ordered 150 rolls - in stock - same delivery time. They do a lot of volume and turn over stock frequently. Result - you get fresh film. Put it in the freezer and you are good for 8-10 years.

The View Camera Store
    Badger Graphic
    Calumet

mj

Try Calumet in Los Angeles. Ask for Christy Jewel. I've been working with her exclusively since I started managing a photo lab at a L.A. university. I dunno, maybe I've just had bad luck but dealing with Calumet Chicago (where I grew up) was always a pain. Maybe it's because I drop a significant amount of money each semester but Christy has always gone above and beyond what I expect.

Thanks for quick responses everyone. I have a lot to look at now but since I'm here any suggestions on film for landscape photography. I like to stick to slide film and I'm using a 6x17 format camera. I am fairly new to this so any input would be great.
    Thanks again

Provia is awesome, you can do almost anything with it. Great for long exposures too.

IMO, its the ULTIMATE color film(neg or chrome). Beautiful color palette, its Fuji's "WYSIWYG" film in their lineup for chromes, but it can sure be saturated at times! I use it primarily myself, and complement it with Velvia 50 when I want some extra "punch".

here's my opinions of the current lineups of different films:

E-6(slide films)
    FUJI
    Provia: see my statement above
    Velvia 100: Great film, similar to the 50 speed, but, IMO, slightly less saturated. Good if you need an extra stop of speed though
    Velvia 100f: Lower saturation than V100, but higher than Provia in most cases
    Velvia 50: the "landscapers film" of choice supposedly. I use it when I WANT saturation and contrast. It sure delivers both!
    Kodak
    E100G: Similar to Fuji's Provia, but a little warmer in color balance IMO. Very nice film. Has a tendency to go slightly blue if processed in Fuji E-6 chems(supposedly something to do with Ph level difference between Fuji specs and Kodaks, according to my lab)
    E100VS: Kodak's "Velvia". Not the same though. Saturates Reds, yellows and reds like you can't believe. Velvia tends to saturate the cooler colors(green,blue,purples,etc..). Very nice film. High contrast.

C-41(negatives)
    Fuji
    160NS(formerly 160S): very nice film. Normal contrast and saturation levels(well, Fuji's "normal", which is generally a little different than Kodak's ). Scans and optically prints very well. Very fine grained.
    Reala 100: more contrasty, and slightly more saturated than 160NS. Not as fine grained IMO, but I haven't used it a lot. Scans well, and prints via analog means well too.
    Kodak
    Portra 160: their "combined" 160 speed pro film. Formerly their was 160NC(normal contrast.color), and 160VC(vivid color/contrastier). The new film is supposedly a combo of the two, but IMO, is flatter than the 160NC of before. Scans well, and is EXTREMELY fine-grained.
    Portra 400: Same thing here. Formerly two versions(at least for 35mm and MF rollfilms only). Formerly 400NC(rolls AND sheets(up to 8x10) and 400VC(rollfilm only). The new one is a combo of the two former emulsions, a little higher contrast(IMO) and more saturated than the former 400NC, but lower than the 400VC. Also a VERY fine-grained film, almost as fine as the Portra 160. Almost being the key word here.
    Portra 800: I'm only mentioning this b/c it is available in rollfilm only, not in sheets. Since you're shooting landscapes, I'll assume you're looking for fine-grained film, not something that hasn't really been "updated" in almost 5+ years. Still a great film though, and renders skintones beautifully, great for MF handheld photography in low-light situations

just my long-winded $.02

-Dan

B&H was out of stock of 120? Which film?

All of the above store choices sound like good ones to me.

For slide film, I think I'd go with E100G or Provia for more subdued landscapes or E100VS or Velvia 50 for more saturated ones. As for color neg film, Ektar 100 could also be a great choice for saturated (but more subdued than E100VS or Velvia) or Portra 160/400 for a more subtle look.

I do love Portra 800 but it's probably not the best choice for landscapes. I think it was most recently update about 4-5 years ago (800-3), right before 400NC/VC-3.

Oh, and Provia 400X is a quite amazing film for an ISO 400 slide film.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Gray View Post
    B&H was out of stock of 120? Which film?

Provia 100 F. Since at least 3 weeks and still without knowing when available...