Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Agfa Ansco 8 x 10 Camera Model?

Re: Agfa Ansco 8 x 10 Camera Model?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike OBrien View Post
    It keeps asking me for a URL address when I try to insert the photo.
    You either host the Photo elsewhere and then add the URL or go down the page when posting and you'll see manage attachments.

Ian

Ian,

Thanks so much. You have been very helpful. Is the camera worth anything?

It's worth something. Put it on ebay with no reserve and you'll find out how much.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike OBrien View Post
    Ian,

Thanks so much. You have been very helpful. Is the camera worth anything?
    Depends on the movements etc. I paid a lot of money for both my Agfa Ansco's but they came with bonuses.

My Commercial (front tilt and front swing, quite unusual) came with a pre-WWII 12" Dagor which had been factory coated after the war and a brand new Beattie screen, plus 4 spare lens boards one had previously held a 300mm Nikon M - a lens I have.

Then my Universal (no front tilt) came with a superb 165mm f8 Super Angulon. So both were bargains,

They are superb cameras very usable but it depends very much on it's condition and the exact range of movements etc. I wouldn't pay very much for just a body maybe $400.

Ian

Old School Wayne

Be wary of absolutes. Sometimes the 5x7's that always have an extension rail don't have an extension rail, and never did. Sometimes Universals don't have front name plates. But you probably have a Universal and missed the extension rail, like Ian said. Or maybe it doesn't have one, like some of the 5x7's. I got my gray 8x10 Uni for $400 with holders and 5x7 back and 4x5 back and iris clamp, but that was 1998. The clamp alone might go for a few hundred now.

It doesn't help that the Agfa Ansco catalogues show the wrong Illustrations for some camera's. The 1941 Catalogue show a the wrong camera on the Commercial View page with a name plate on the end of the front rail, but they all take an extension rail.Also the illustration has no raer extension either.

With the 5x7's there was a Universal and also a Standard View. What doesn't help is the camears changed during war time production when manufacture switched to a different location and workshop, hardware changed as well as quality and finish.

Ian

Are the knobs black plastic or metal/brass-looking like Ian's? That's one way to approximately date Agfa Anscos IIRC. The metal knobs were the earlier.

I don't think you'd find universal agreement with with Ian's statement about Agfa Ansco being regarded as the very best of all the U.S. made pre-WWII cameras. I think many, perhaps most, would say Deardorf had that distinction and that Agfa-Ansco was second. But maybe it's a question of perceptions pre vs post war. Doesn't really matter, either way, Agfa Anscos are very nice cameras. I had an 8x10 that I used for several years.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    I don't think you'd find universal agreement with with Ian's statement about Agfa Ansco being regarded as the very best of all the U.S. made pre-WWII cameras. I think many, perhaps most, would say Deardorf had that distinction and that Agfa-Ansco was second. But maybe it's a question of perceptions pre vs post war. Doesn't really matter, either way, Agfa Anscos are very nice cameras. I had an 8x10 that I used for several years.
    My comment is based on the choice of the original owner of my Commercial View. He bought the camera new in about 1940 and had been a lecturer at the Clarence White School of Photography. He bought the best available US made 10x8 view camera of that era and also the best lens a Goerz AM OPt Dagor. The camera's second owner a US Professor of Photography also thought it far better than a Deradorff and he'd used both.

Add to that Ansel Adams also used an Agfa Ansco and so bid Brett Weston.

What's more important is they are great cameras to use, I walk with mine usually only shorter 5 mile treks I use a 5x4 Wista for longer hikes.

Ian