Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seperate photo gallary threads and discussion

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

Re: Seperate photo gallary threads and discussion

i think this thread needs images to help clarify what your all trying to say.
    through a glass darkly...

The thread is inspiring, informational, and occasionally entertaining just the way it is. The trivial rants of a few people degrade the thread, but don't eradicate its value

"Separate image threads from discussion threads" - a potentially interesting idea, if done in parallel to image-plus-discussion threads. But, I don't believe the "stock" software provides a mechanism for image-only threads, or a separate "gallery" section that would preclude comment. If one can post an image, someone else can post a comment. Thus, implementation would fall back on the guidelines, which few people seem to read, even though they check the box that says they did, and agree to comply, when they join.

Even if someone starts an "Images only, no comments, please" thread, there will always be a few who decide the no-comment request doesn't apply to them.

Brisbane, Australia

I doubt that an image only thread would need to be "moderated". Surely the IT gurus could create a script to only upload image code and reject plain text.

Personally, I'm happy to wade through "the trivial rants" and conversation whilst I patiently await the development of "scratch & sniff" software and hardware so that I can experience the aromas of those breathtaking Landscape, Still Life, Water's Edge and Portrait images. I suppose the topic of conversation would evolve then to "I think she would have smelt better if you'd used a soft focus lens".....

The verbal interaction in the image themed threads (even the obtuse comments) is an integral part of what makes this site such a successful forum and is so overshadowed by the excellent standard of posted images that it presents no problem to me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    The thread is inspiring, informational, and occasionally entertaining just the way it is. The trivial rants of a few people degrade the thread, but don't eradicate its value
    I agree with Jim, both in that the threads do have value but also that the extensive rants degrade them. The complainers should take the opportunity to present some of their own work in the areas they feel are neglected.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know