Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Selling Gandolfi Traditional 8x10?

Re: Selling Gandolfi Traditional 8x10?

Geoff, obvious question, have you thought of posting it on the UK website www.lf-photo.org.uk? Or Apug? 10x8 Gandolfis have appeared for sale there on occasion, in the £1,000-£1,200 range. For US market, that probably means the same in $$'s. Also, Eddie Hill at Gandolfi Cameras had a very good condition Traditional 10x8 with factory mod front swing which sold c. £1,800 last year. For USA based folk, these are still referred to as 10x8's over here in Europe, and not 8x10's. Old customs don't change here quickly.

Geoff,

As a 71 year old I wish to register complaint that I feel insulted that you would lay claim at 54 to being “older”. You haven’t even entered the gate yet. With that in mind I would say that you have a beautiful camera, wonderful experience, and should not give up yet.

A thread you might look at is http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ghlight=Jogger
    Mine is the 12th post showing the baby jogger I use to carry either 8x10 or 7x17. By having a method to carry the camera and gear you can use your talent and the hobby you have enjoyed for many years to come. You may even turn it into a profitable second profession.

John

Thanks for all your replies. In order :

Chris. Tilman and I didnt start very well. I arrived in a beat up old van in a stormy October week not particularly organised and pretty stressed, having driven 700 odd miles in 24 hours and needing to sleep rough in the van as i couldnt afford bed and breakfast.. At the first night critique where work is shown I presented a book of photographs I had personally financed and published ( I think still available on Amazon called From Earth to Air ) detailing documentary type shots of a nmber of trips to Andalucia, concentrating especially on gypsy lifestyle, flamenco and graveyards, and quoting extensively from the murdered poet Lorca. For some reason Tilman took exception to this book and was extremely critical, finding little redeeming features about it. I was quite shocked having paid fair money to join the workshop and receiving a tirade of criticism on my first night. There were only several others on the workshop and I think others were surpised too. I think, on reflection, Tilman realised that he had been somewhat overbearing and was really nice to me for the rest of the workshop. I think we ended up having some mutual respect but it did not start well. I certainly wouldnt like to get in his bad books.

Steven yes Orkney lived up to its reputation re the weather, but a wonderful and magical place, full of the haunting whispers of history. I would go back tomorrow if I had the chance ( and join Tilman there too !)

Ole, thanks for the wise up on the name. Interesting that Eddie changed the name out of some respect for his engineering background. Yes I was aware I was buying into photographic heritage with both the Traditional ( Precision ) and the half plate. I also bought a tripod too but it was ungainly heavy and impractical so sold it. How many Gandolfis have you got?

E von. Cool. I'll wrap it and send it tomorrow!! As I say I am aware of its heritage. The convenience and coldness of the digital age sometimes refracts ones vision and it needs to be restored from time to time.

John B thanks for the wise up re Apug. I used to be a paying member but have lapsed for 3-4 years. Might rejoin soon.

John P Sorry to you and other people above 50. I shouldn't categorise everybody with the same degree of lassitude and lack of stamina as I have. Mmmm food for thought. Keeping the 8x10 might extend my life by keeping me fitter. And the idea of a little wheeled buggy sounds ideal. I will also check that thread.

As I said earlier I have had private expressions of interest. I will explore those and it will come down to a final decision based on money I guess. The money will help fund a 35mm L lens so it will not be wasted. But the alternative cost appears to be a little bit of photographic history and better photographic karma.

Thanks for all your contributions.

Geoff

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Geoff, I have only the three Gandolfi's mentioned - and two tripods. I agree that the tripods are somewhat cumbersome, but due to weight and bulk I think it's cheaper to keep them than to sell one (or both)! The local market is a bit limited. On the other hand the tripods are extremely good at what they are made for, to keep the camera absolutely and perfectly steady.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbillett View Post
    Thanks for all your replies. In order :
    John P Sorry to you and other people above 50. I shouldn't categorise everybody with the same degree of lassitude and lack of stamina as I have. Mmmm food for thought. Keeping the 8x10 might extend my life by keeping me fitter. And the idea of a little wheeled buggy sounds ideal. I will also check that thread.

As I said earlier I have had private expressions of interest. I will explore those and it will come down to a final decision based on money I guess. The money will help fund a 35mm L lens so it will not be wasted. But the alternative cost appears to be a little bit of photographic history and better photographic karma.

Thanks for all your contributions.

Geoff
    "same degree of lassitude and lack of stamina" A couple of Labrador Retrievers has helped with that for me. Get out, breath, hike, enjoy the beauty around us. Walk a few miles several times a week. All of a sudden you have stamina again.

John P

Brad

Geoff - Just came on the forum for the first time today. Saw your post.

I went to Exeter College of Art and Medway College of Design in the late 60's and early 70's. Met with Fred Gandolfi and he custom built two formats for me - the 5x4 and the 10x8. Damn good cameras. I use my 10x8 often and would hate to see you give it up because of size. I'm sixty and still shooting with it.

Geoff

my few cents worth - do not sell - my view is that Gandolfi's will certainly not depreciate in value particularly in the format that you own

said 10x8 with two lenses which Emil mentioned is probably on the high side but the guys who are selling are fairly canny.................

and fwiw I've never really hankered after a Gandolfi as the movements are not as extensive as I would wish for - certainly unless Emil, Ole or John can put me right on this, I've always believed that there are no swings, which there are on some Deardorff's and swing is pretty important to me

regards

andrew

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Andrew, there is rear swing through the "slotted rails".

The front lensboard movements also allow a lot of movement, since you can apply lots of rise or shift without scrunching the bellows with short focal lengths.

If you really NEED more movements than a Gandolfi Traditional offers, then I think a monorail camera is your only choise.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Tjugen View Post
    Andrew, there is rear swing through the "slotted rails".

The front lensboard movements also allow a lot of movement, since you can apply lots of rise or shift without scrunching the bellows with short focal lengths.

If you really NEED more movements than a Gandolfi Traditional offers, then I think a monorail camera is your only choise.
    thx Ole, grateful

andrew

Funny we all go separate ways.
    I am 54, been involved in photography for 35 years or so, mostly as a hobby... yet I am getting rid of all the smaller format items from my collection and keeping the V-8 Deardorff. It has 5x7 and 4x5 backs so I will still be covered, but for smaller formats, they just don't appeal. I have a fondness for 3x4 cameras but they never get taken out any more. The MF stuff is going away and the 135... digital makes image recording on 135 a non-starter.

You are as old as you feel. At 54 I have the most complex and interesting job I have ever had, have a GF I need to keep happy, am busy raising two teen age daughters, spend a fair amount of my time with my hobbies, and spend way too much time in airports. Look around. You only live once. At 64 you will regret the things you didn't do at 54. Not I. No Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda's for me.

Keep the damned 10x8 and take some pictures. There is a whole bunch of photography I am sure you have forgotten. Re-acquaint yourself with your art.

tim in san jose