Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sliding back adapter for roll film backs

Re: Sliding back adapter for roll film backs

Linhof makEs one for the Master Technika.

hey guys,

thanks for all the info. After thinking about this, I think that the sliding back is really only practical for people shooting in the studio, people who DON'T have to pack up their camera very often(I have to pack/unpack it quite often due to storage space issues).

and seeing that the size of the calumet or sinar 6x7/6x8/6x9 backs is pretty much the same(and the sinar can take 220 as well), I'll go for one of these.

many thanks!

-Dan

some chinese manufacturers have been selling ( or advertising) on e bay sliding back for 4x5 camera at 499 or 179 usd...It seemec to come from two different makers.

jadphoto

Horseman makes/made a rotating version. I'm using one on a Sinar with RB-67 backs. It might be adaptable to the Cambo. The Horseman version has a darkslide/baffle built in so when you rotate the holder out of the way, you don't have to re-insert the darkslide. Pretty handy feature.

I bought mine on Ebay for not too much a couple of years ago. I see them advertised on occasion.

JD

Linhof makes one currently for the Technika and another for the TK system.

There are also ones for Wista 45 cameras.

Not a sliding back per se, but the Horseman Type 2 6x9 Rotating Back works fine on standard Graflok backs... I used one for a year or so on my Super Speed Graphic, worked great with a Horseman 6x9 roll film holder. Fast and easy to use. Be careful which one you buy, though--there are three IIRC and types 1 and 3 won't fit a standard Graflok, only type 2.

I see that the original poster has not replied since September and has decided to go another route. None-the-less I have some information.

I just received a Cambo sliding back, ebay Item number: 110645550256 (search yourself). It does accept 4x5 graflok accessories. I attached my Shen Hao multiformat roll film holder with no problem. It does not make 4x5 images or even 6x12 ones. The viewing side has a 9cm square open ground glass area. The graflok back side revolves on a bearing with an 11cm diameter opening, so 4x5 is clearly out of the question. The slide does not extend beyond the camera back so when the viewing screen is in place, the film will be exposed if the dark slide is not inserted.

So using it requires 1) closing the shutter, 2) sliding the graflok back into place, 3) removing the dark slide, 3a) stopping down the lens (optional), 4) cocking (possibly) and tripping the shutter, 5) re-inserting the dark slide, 6) advancing the film, 7) sliding the viewer into place, 8) opening the shutter and 8a) opening the aperture (optional). Altogether it is not exactly easy-breezy. I wonder what fraction of the time I will remember all of the steps in the correct order. Making it convenient would require the slide to be extended so that the film is shielded when not in position for picture taking and an interlock to close the shutter when the graflok is slid into place a la Wista, (I think). But, it is still fast, sure and convenient compared to removing the Graflok focus panel, attaching the film holder with the graflok sliders and later undoing those steps. I do not plan to use this device outside of studio environments, but that is true of almost all of my Cambo equipment. Not being a production oriented professional, it will not be essential to me.

Since Cambo has been making cameras and accessories for a very long time, I have no reason to believe that this is the only sliding adapter they have made. Others might be far more sophisticated.
    Last edited by aduncanson; 17-Feb-2011 at 11:03. Reason: grammar, clarity - added final paragraph.

hey guys,

yes, I've decided to go another route altogether, I'm just using my RZ system for MF rollfilm now.

thanks for all the information though!

-Dan