Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Paper Negative Workflows For Various Results

Re: Paper Negative Workflows For Various Results

Backlight film is in reality just plastic with a ink receiving layer on it.
    I see. So to clarify, backlight film is different then inkjet transparency film i.e. OHP or InkPress?

not all is lost if you do not wax or oil your paper
    it is very easy to do direct contact prints to silver gelatin.
    Thats part of the beauty of paper negs, there are so many ways to work with them!

Ok, here is another question: what is the best way to determine the ISO of the paper used for in-camera negs? I think Ilford may actually state some paper ISOs but I'm not sure. Is there a procedure for this? If so can someone explain it in detail please.

Also, is there any way to control contrast in paper negs like in using film i.e. I can push or pull development to get sky from zone 6 to zone 7 if I want to. I understand that paper basically develops to completion so pushing and pulling by development time is out of the question. It is simply a matter of controlling it in the printing i.e. dodging and burning or masking?

multiplex

francesco

the iso printed on the box is relative to paper, not to film.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragomeni View Post
    I see. So to clarify, backlight film is different then inkjet transparency film i.e. OHP or InkPress?
    Yes they are different. OHP film is clear or almost clear plastic. Backlight film is still plastic but usually milky white to white in appearance and is not clear, it is almost always opaque. The idea is the white colour diffuses the backlight shining through it.

Backlight film works for silver paper, but not so well for alternative processes requiring exposure to UV as the backlight film tends to block most of the UV giving very long exposure times.

With regard to paper ISOs, from testing I recall I concluded that the ISO for RC Ilford MGIV was around 6-10. It can vary depending on the lighting but it is around there. But this will not be the same ISO as a homemade paper negative using silver emulation etc. The only way is to test I’m afraid.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by James Hilton View Post
    With regard to paper ISOs, from testing I recall I concluded that the ISO for RC Ilford MGIV was around 6-10. It can vary depending on the lighting but it is around there. But this will not be the same ISO as a homemade paper negative using silver emulation etc. The only way is to test I’m afraid.
    exactly !

Yes, what I'm asking is what is the iso of specific papers used in-camera for negatives? I plan to use Ilford RC paper (not sure which one yet). Is it marked on the box? If its marked on the box is that an accurate iso for using in-camera or is the box iso specific to something else? Otherwise how can I test the paper to find the exact working in-camera iso (please be specific with instructions)? Sorry if that wasn't initially clear.

I've posted this as a new post actually to get as many viewers as possible. I've been looking around all over for instructions on testing the iso of paper for use as in-camera negs and I haven't found any explicit instructions. Can someone simply explain exactly how to do it? Here is the new post I made by the way. Thank you.