Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: scanning at 16 bit grayscale with 4990

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: scanning at 16 bit grayscale with 4990

I just scanned a 6x9 B&W image with an Epson 3200 scanner in 16 bit mode using the Silverfast SE software that came bundled with the scanner. Frankly I couldn't tell the difference between the 8 bit and 16 bit modes on my computer screen (LaCie) but I did notice that when I opened up the image with Photoshop Elements 3, 16 bit wasn't supported and it reverted the image to the 8 bit version. However it opens as a 16 bit file with CS3.

The main advantage of 16-bit-per-channel files is increased editing headroom. If you edit an 8-bit-per-channel filee leads fairly quickly to posterization, especially with grayscale images. Without doing any editing to the files, it should be very difficult, if not impossible, to visually distinguish an 8-bit from a 16-bit file, all other things being equal.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

What Peter said so succinctly !

Remember that most monitors can only see 8-bits, as can most printers. Ordinary JPG files are 8-bit too.

But those represent the final destination - after all adjustments have been made.

During the adjustment phase, it's the "headroom" we're after

If your set-up does not allow for 16 bit scanning, IME there is still a "headroom" advantage to converting the scan to 16 bit before doing any editing. Not as good as scanning in 16 bit, but better than editing in 8 bit.

Many older drum scanners cannot do 16 bit. I found that converting these files to 16 bit before editing did help.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Eight-bit data gives you 256 possible levels of gray, while 16-bit gives you 65,536 different levels.

I double-dog dare you to distinguish gray level 13,241 from 13,242 even with a good densitometer.

However, as has been mentioned, 16-bit data can give you much more "wiggle" room when editing or manipulating the information.

- Leigh

Gray Matter Images

Thanks Guys,

Up to this point all of the scanning I have been doing was for digitizing my prints for my website and for gallery/photo competitions. So I was doing it in 8 bit. But now that I'm diving head first into digital negatives for p/p printing process I'm wanting to go with 16 bit.

I currently working on a dedicated computer (for imaging) with 6 gb of ram and a 650gb hard drive running cs5 so thats not the issue.

I have been able to use the epson software and scan at 16 bit.

I was hoping to use Silverfast because I've been using it for 5 years and I'm familar with it. The version I'm using is SE Plus and the interesting thing is it offers(and is active) 16 bit HDR grayscale. It has in the drop down window a listing for 16 bit grayscale but it is inactive along with 48 bit color and 1 bit line art. The only other active grayscale option is "16->8bit grayscale" which scans at 8 bit.

I just left the Silverfast website (as convaluted as it is) and I'm assuming that this version does not support 16 bit with the 4990.

I'm just wondering if there is something that I'm missing other than a costly upgrade from silverfast.
    I dream in color and see in black and white.
    http://www.graymatterimages.com

Gray Matter Images

I dream in color and see in black and white.
    http://www.graymatterimages.com

renes

I need your advice. I just bought 4990 scanner with Epson software only. I am not quite sure if I sould buy VueScan or SilerFast SE or AI software. My main aim is to scan my 6x9 B&W negatives now and 4x5 later. No colour. Is it worth to buy one to get the better scans from my 120 B&W films or to stay with Epson software becouse it works as good as them in B&W film scanning?

I am going to buy a BetterScanning film holder too.

Use the professional section of Epson Scan, on my V700 I tried Silverfast SE when I first had the scanner and didn't feel it was any better than Epson Scan. I have used Epson Scan now for 5 years and haven't seen any reason to switch. I can do 16 bit b&w scans up to 2400ppi, don't generally go higher on 4x5s. I have also tried 48 bit color scans on b&w negs and there I can't see a difference between either.
    The Home and Automatic sections of Epson Scan are next to useless, but the Professional section does work well.

Tom

I am not quite sure if I sould buy VueScan or SilerFast SE or AI software

Save your money. Use the Epson software.