Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: ULF Photography - No, really.

David J. Heinrich

Re: ULF Photography - No, really.

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    You know, I have seriously thought about mounting my 20X24" camera on the front of one of those three wheel off-road vehicles, folding it down when traveling and then just opening it up facing the subject when I arrived. I could take that rig almost everywhere I used to hike. I still think that would be just too cool for words, and damn efficient at that.

I just hate for the size of my camera to limit the subject!!!!

But then I look at the superb detail in my 13" X 32" prints from the Noblex 150U and wonder why one would even need to use small sheet film, much less ULF.

Sandy King
    I wonder if the shocks would cause problems for the camera frame, alignment.

I've thought about a setup to cart my gear around with a kind of wheelbarrow tire, but would probably want some sort of suspension/shock absorption.

David J. Heinrich

Quote Originally Posted by benrains View Post
    I think Shaun Irving's "Cameratruck" is a nicer setup for this type of work- http://www.cameratruck.net/
    Neat, but a lot of the images seem like they have clipping problems, and half of the links to images on that site don't work!

As for the American Portrait project, that looks like some sort of cheesy steampunk pipe dream. Nice 3D CGI animation, website, and pitch material, but it seems too preoccupied on flashy presentation than any kind of real substance. I much prefer the DIY efforts of folks like John Chiara, Chris McCaw, and Shaun Irving who focus on making pictures and not trying to get someone to bankroll their "big idea".
    Tend to agree, neat idea though.

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

One point to remember is that John Chiara is rejecting the lush fine prints that most here aspire.

Instead he is being an artist, doing his own thing. Painting with light.

I like his images a lot as they are more like a painting. Ok so some of my landscape paintings have a similar ambience, that come from layers and layers of thin glazes.

Painting has the advantage of being unlimited by circumstance.

I have a friend the same as john, very quiet shy, but highly original and creative.

Unafraid to do his own thing. Uninterested in opinions as he loves what he does.

GO JOHNY!
    through a glass darkly...

He could at least paint the outside of the camera white or stop whining about how hot it is.

I do really like what he is doing.

Roger

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

I really admire the guy.. I would think it wouldn't be to much trouble to make a GG sring back and have a film holder made .. Then he could do two shots a day ..

I would think that the emulsion would be effected by his body heat inside that thing..

I'd paint the whole thing white on the exterior of course. Then I'd build a false floor in it to hold a tray(s) and chemicals for processing, or tubes for storing spent film for later processing. A projector screen would probably be an adequate replacement for a groundglass if it's viewed from inside. I'd probably figure out a way to install a light trap double-door rather than climb through the plastic bag. He's either lacking some mechanical ingenuity and making up for it with willpower, or building a list of changes for version 2.

One point to remember is that John Chiara is rejecting the lush fine prints that most here aspire.

Instead he is being an artist, doing his own thing. Painting with light.
    Instead he is being an artist???????????? What are we chopped liver?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

multiplex

thanks for posting this link. it is nice to see someone
    making singular prints using an interesting technique ...

does anyone know the archival stability of the kinds of prints he is making ?

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Instead he is being an artist???????????? What are we chopped liver?
    With onions and herbs, pan fried in butter.
    Or would you rather be vegan mock chopped liver??

Remember, being an "artiste" is about advertising and promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    I'd probably figure out a way to install a light trap double-door rather than climb through the plastic bag. He's either lacking some mechanical ingenuity and making up for it with willpower, or building a list of changes for version 2.
    You've pretty much nailed it down. Personally (and I know that others can have exactly opposite opinions) I regard his art as being on the same level as that of his "mechanical ingenuity". The whole camera could be built ten times lighter, much more practical, and much more useful for his purpose with just some common sense considerations. Never mind.