Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: which film for landscape

neophyte

Re: which film for landscape

Acros is available in Japan in 8x10. Dont know about shipping but japanexposures will kick you JPY 13000 for 20 sheets: about US$160.

Comparison of TMX,TMY, Acros reciprocity is here at http://silvergrain.org/Photo-Tech/reciprocity.html. Things start to separate between 10 and 100 sec
    Testing at http://home.earthlink.net/~kitathome...eciprocity.htm suggests no significant correction needed for acros if exposures are under 15 min.
    I had a bunch of this in quickload which is nearly dead; shame they dont make in 5x7 (only half-plate I think).

Back to the OP question: I dont think it matters much.
    Pick a film that you can easily get, a paper you can easily get (if doing silver-gelatin), use a standard developer you can easily get and go for it. As suggested above a standard film like FP4 or acros with d76 or xtol will get you a long way. Once you have made all the standard LF errors of the first hundred sheets and first 5 sheets after not doing it for a while, then think about more variables. FWIW my choice is HP5+ (i like the extra 2 stops and I cant get acros in 5x7) pyrocat-mc and toned cyanotype (until I get brave enough to try carbon).
    "In the field of observation chance favours the prepared mind" -- Pasteur

Just so you all know, Fp4's reciprocity failure can be worked out with this equation..

Ec=Em^1.48

Where Ec is the corrected exposure, and Em is the measured exposure, in seconds. Measured exposures of one second or less do not require any compensation.

I think someone from Kodak posted it on this forum years ago as I found it hidden in the posts.

I vote for HP5, Tmax 400, or Tri-X. I want as much speed as possible to give me as much flexibility as possible, whether it's 4x5, 5x7 or 8x10. They're all great for what you want to do, but pick ONE and use it. No "film of the month club!"

Have fun!
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

hacker extraordinaire

The correct answer to any "which film for X" question is "Tmax 400".

Although I hear it's really expensive in 8x10.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

Eric Biggerstaff

I have been using Delta 100 for the past couple of years, very nice film and worth consideration.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Drew Wiley

I've pretty much shot them all for landscape. The new TMax 400 is splendid. ACROS is
    another favorite of mine, but the sheets I've gotten in 8X10 are a bit thin and don't
    stay very flat in a conventional holder (I resort to the adhesive holders) - hard to get
    in 8X10 anyway. I'm shooting it in 4x5 in the high Sierra later this wk. FP4 is obviously a favorite of many, but a bit slow speed at times. HP5 is popular in 8x10, but with more toe than I like for harsh lighting. TMax 100 is harder to learn, and I never cared for the poor edge effect for landscape work - might as well go right to 400-speed TMax now that it's relatively fine-grained. You're going to get all kind of opinions
    not only because each of us has a little different kind of vision, but because there are
    in fact so many good films to choose from.

mr.sheetfilm

Hello!

I use ADOX CHS50 developed in XTOL for most of my black and white work. I find this to be a good combinatio....

Per

The short answer is that when you find the film and paper combination you like, you'll know it.

"New technology" films such as Delta 100, TMX and TMY are reputed to be good for landscapes but not as good as "old technology" films for portraiture. I don't think the reverse is true: A few years ago I shot some original Tri-X, and that was pretty impressive for landscapes.

I shoot Delta 100 at ISO 50 and develop in Rodinal 1:50. I like it; others may not. By all means consider TMY (TMax 400) if you think light may be a problem. There was a View Camera article comparing TMY with TMX, and they were close enough together that my old eyes couldn't tell the difference.

But don't waste too much time choosing. Just get out there.

And Good Shooting!

David
    Last edited by David Beal; 8-Sep-2010 at 12:10. Reason: Typo
    David Beal
    Memories Preserved Photography, LLC
    "Making tomorrow's memories by
    capturing today's happiness" (R)

HP 5 shot at ISO 200-300 depending on film test, search for posts on LF for this. A diluted developer, pain due to the longer times, and it allows you to cut development times to tone down highlights, again search the forum for the testing you need. Make sure your chemistry temperature is constant for developer, stop, fix, and Hypo!!! 68f or equivalent for Celsius.
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.