Page 179 of 1720 FirstFirst ... 791291691771781791801811892292796791179 ... LastLast
Results 1,781 to 1,790 of 17194

Thread: Large Format Landscapes

Re: Large Format Landscapes

Epic, Jim.

Another recent one - this is the Plessur river running through alpine meadow towards Arosa;

Toyo 4x5, Rodenstock Grandagon-N 75mm, Ilford Delta 100 / PMK Pyro

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Mounier View Post
    Mandoman, David, and Jim
    Excellent images! I particularly like the E. Sierra pics Mandoman.

Peter
    I appreciate your encouragement Peter. Thanks.
    John Youngblood
    www.jyoungblood.com

Hey Jim, a couple of queries about your photos from the Cowboy Trail - how many are 'road kill' (taken from the road), and how many while hiking? Are most of them 8x10? And, they all look to be taken with WA lenses - true? Just curious.

Great shots btw. You must live in the south part of the city so you can get to Hwy 22 without too much effort. Being in the north part of the city, it would take a bit too long to go there 'on a whim'...

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by jim kitchen View Post
    Gentlemen,

Thank you for your comments...

The proposed book and text require several more landscape images, portraits, historical notes, and the time to complete the task. I am approaching the twenty percent milestone.

A recent image from a late snowy afternoon in April.

jim k

Spring Snow Squall, Williams Coulee Road, Free Range, Cowboy Trail, Alberta, Canada, 2010

Really nice Jim.

Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David Hedley View Post
    Epic, Jim.

Another recent one - this is the Plessur river running through alpine meadow towards Arosa;

Toyo 4x5, Rodenstock Grandagon-N 75mm, Ilford Delta 100 / PMK Pyro
    such a breath taker!

Quote Originally Posted by jim kitchen View Post
    [CENTER]Spring Snow Squall, Williams Coulee Road, Free Range, Cowboy Trail, Alberta, Canada, 2010
    This is nice. Jim, these can be put together as an excellent study.

Andrew

Gentlemen,

Again, thank you for your kind words...

The Cowboy Trail images just happen to be there as I travel along the trail during my free time, whether I am driving a pickup truck, hiking, or horseback riding on a rancher's property. I truly believe that I am just a lucky soul to be in a certain place, at any given moment during the day, at any point along the trail, and especially when I believe that the planets are properly aligned. The trail's scenery changes constantly, and it can exhibit very dramatic skies with spectacular cloud formations and, or dreadfully boring vistas with a very expansive Alberta blue sky. The latter cloudless condition drives me frigging nuts, especially when I must unfortunately wait for the clouds to return. If the cloud formations do not return, I go home.

Ken, my images are captured by hiking into the rancher' property when I do not receive permission to take a 4X4 pickup truck onto their property, or from the top of the pickup truck's flatbed when permission is granted and, or when I dismount from the back of a rancher's Quarter Horse. I have three lenses for my 8X10, where one happens to be a 210mm, another at 300mm, and the last lens is 480mm. I use the 210mm as my primary lens, while capturing any Alberta landscape, unless the scene dictates a tighter image. I do not drive anywhere on a whim, but I drive with purpose to specific area, knowing that the scenery beneath the expected cloud formations will not move. I decided to focus on the southern and central part of the trail during the past year, remembering that certain areas along the trail contain a very strong compositional base that could generate a truly spectacular image, especially when the cloud cover presents itself in an excellent and dramatic fashion.

And Robert, I could have used your help after I captured that image, because the pickup truck decided to bury its fat heavy butt into a very soft section of the rancher's field, causing me to walk a few embarrassing kilometres to the rancher's home, where I politely ask him for help just as he and his family were about to start their dinner. His generosity was overwhelming, because he told me that the task would be taken care of properly, once I had dinner with his family. A benefit I did not expect to receive, but surely welcomed...

The trail's PDF map can be seen here: http://www.thecowboytrail.com/map.html.

Again, gentlemen thank you for your comments.

jim k

Quote Originally Posted by David Hedley View Post
    Another recent one...
    Dear David,

Great image...

I must get off my butt and try that film, and that developer combination you happen to use. I do admire the tones that you generate using that combination.

Nicely done.

jim k

More great images here. Good job all!

Here is one from last year in Big Bend. Taken on Velvia 100F and converted in CS5 to monochrome.

Arca-Swiss 4x5 with Nikon 210mm lens
    My Arca-Swiss Camera Blog- The Large Format Camera Blog

My website-WildernessPhotographer

Thanks, Steve & Jim.

Darren - I like that very much, and in particular the contrast between the sky and the landscape.