Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where did 4x5 Velvia Sheet Film go ?

older than most

Re: Where did 4x5 Velvia Sheet Film go ?

Quote Originally Posted by MumbleyJoe View Post
    I had a bit of a panic attack this week myself as I couldn't find any either. Someone on Flickr pointed me here:
    http://www.freestylephoto.biz/index.php

I was still able to place an order yesterday, so they may still have some. I have a couple planned photo-trips in the near future and bought a little extra in case the boxes of 20 take a while longer to come out.
    i was just told that the 20 sheet boxes of rvp 50 should be available next week for freestyle...perhaps FUJI could keep us informed on their website about changes in their product lines so us 30+ year loyalists can sleep easier? just a thought doug

Ok here is the deal: I have it from a very reliable source (a buyer at one of the large camera stores) that fuji has not stopped making c-41 film, but rather pared back their manufacturing and will be packaging film in 20 sheet boxes. However, the new packages will not be available until June, so until then we will have to use kodak.

It's time to give Ektar a try. Seriously. If Fuji doesn't want to service their customers any better than this, just try Ektar. It's a beautiful, saturated film, with finer grain than Velvia and better dynamic range. You might find you don't miss Velvia a bit.

I elected to try C41 film alongside E6 this season on the Texas Hill country spring flower shoot. I shot E6 (Provia, Velvia) and C41 (Kodak 160NC and Ektar).

Waiting Tempe to return film. The E6 processing equipment is down and holding up the order. Sure hope my film is not the first in the soup after the repair!!!

I too see Ektar becoming a mainstay in my film selection if it works out as I hope. This is the first time I've used it so it may be enlightening.

Bob

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Gibbons View Post
    If Fuji doesn't want to service their customers any better than this, just try Ektar. .
    Seriously, Greg, I think you're making mountain out of a mole hill.

There's a couple of weeks' delay whilst they change over their packaging. To, I might add, a much better product (with 20, not 10 sheets).

Perhaps, 20 years ago when all pros basically used film, this would be an issue. Now it is an inconvenience for a small minority of the camera world.

Keep it in perspective...
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by timparkin View Post
    Fuji are changing over from 10 sheet to 20 sheet boxes and in typical Fuji fashion have not released the 20 sheet boxes before the 10 sheets run out. :-)
    Thanks so much.

My local shop (Glazer's Camera, in Seattle, WA) ran out of the 10-sheet boxes a while back. They had a notice posted in their film section that the 10s and 50s were being discontinued and replaced with the 20s (as we all know by now).

They were given the new SKU for the 20s but of course none were delivered because FUJI is waiting until the 10s run out to ship 20s. It seems like there was a miscommunication between FUJI and retailers. FUJI seemed to say "we're done with 10s and 50s, switch over to the SKU for the 20s". Nobody ordered the 10s and 50s anymore, but FUJI won't ship the 20s that have been ordered instead. Glazers figured this out and went back to ordering the original SKUs (at least for the 10s). Fortunately that meant they got some back in stock, while my traditional online sources (B&H, Adorama) have not (Freestyle came to the rescue too).

None of this helps of course, but that's what I've picked up on.

Now, it's been another couple months and the last I checked it still seems like they're not shipping the 20s. Does anyone know if this is true, or have they been spotted out in the wild yet?

older than most

mumbley...i picked up six 10 sheeters a couple of weeks ago at glazers and four on saturday...the people there seem to be as much in the dark as we are...have not heard of anyone who has held a "new" twenty sheeter...it boggles the mind that fuji can produce such fine sheet films and produce such poor customer relations...doug

Curse you Doug!

I bought 2 10s of Velvia a couple weeks ago, and yesterday they were out again - seems you got the last of it! ;-) (I joke, I picked up some Provia instead, and don't know exactly what you bought)

I've gotten some different messages at Glazers depending on who I talked to. At this point I'll just hope that by the time I use up what I have the 20s are out at last.

older than most

mumbley...it was the good stuff, RVP 50...i have call me if you get requests in all over, i'll let you know if i get any responses...good hunting...and sorry...doug