Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Should I buy a Linhof?

Re: Should I buy a Linhof?

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
    O.K, I'm looking at another one. Two questions:

1) How old is it? The serial number is 82485 so clearly it was made in 1962
    But is it a IV or a V?

1964/65 V

2) It does have the front standard gizmo, which would suggest it is a V, but that gizmo is not working....is there a chance it is NOT stripped? If actually damaged, what sort of repair bill are we talking about? Can the front standard be used without the gizmo?

No, it must work to have rise. Linhof service is the only place to ask for costs. 252 652-4401 in the USA.

Thanks!

--Darin

O.K., I'm thinking of selling my Chaminoix and buying a Linhof IV or V.

I like the Cham--it is great, I think--but not really aimed at my needs. I need portability but not the ultra-light aspect. I don't backpack with it. I'd rather have the ability to keep one lens mounted and don't mind gaining weight to have a metal camera. Wouldn't mind the potential for handheld 4x5, either.

Why Linhof? Because I used to have a Toyo 45AII and I really liked it. I'm told the Technika is sort of the same thing only better. (True?)

I know the Linhofs vary within models and it all gets so confusing all too quickly.

If I'm looking at IV and V models what should I beware of? I'm only interested in clean units so that may avoid a lot of potential problems but what of the plastic knobs I read about somewhere?

Also, any guesstimates what I should pay for a nice IV or V? Are repair prices reasonable should I need it?

Linhof newbie questions, I know.

--Darin
    you will not find a more sturdy and rigid camera with a lot of wonderful movements.
    Ektachrome 64 x wishes and Tech Pan Dreams

Downstairs

Small considerations from a long-time user.
    The IV is more comfortable to use than the V. Stick with a press shuttered* 180 for everything, it lives inside and nothing hangs out so you don't need a bag. You will never use the rangefinder so any old cam will save the cam-fork from damage and you can get the best 180 on the market. The Technika 5x7 is hassle-free, fumble-free photography at it's best.
    *(no-fumble portraits)

I own an MT3000, it is a superbly designed and built camera. That said I do find the little rise selector knob to be less than intuitive, and while I have read the manual, and do not face the distractions of nekkid ladies like Frank does, I use several different camera systems so there can be a period of a year or more in which I never use the Linhof and forget the way the little knob is to be positioned. However I simply make sure to use the rise lever with caution until I see which direction it intends to move.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian K View Post
    I own an MT3000, it is a superbly designed and built camera. That said I do find the little rise selector knob to be less than intuitive, and while I have read the manual, and do not face the distractions of nekkid ladies like Frank does, I use several different camera systems so there can be a period of a year or more in which I never use the Linhof and forget the way the little knob is to be positioned. However I simply make sure to use the rise lever with caution until I see which direction it intends to move.
    It should be pointed out that Linhof's crank mechanism has a slip clutch built into it so once the front standard is all the way up or all the way down additional pumping of the crank doesn't do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian K View Post
    It should be pointed out that Linhof's crank mechanism has a slip clutch built into it so once the front standard is all the way up or all the way down additional pumping of the crank doesn't do anything. There are also two small screws on the bottom of the front standard that can be tightened to increase the power of the rise mechanism in case very heavy lenses are being used.

Another update in my quest:

Found a V that looked very clean--but had a stripped front standard gear. Upon reflection the seller (wisely--it was nice camera) decided not to sell. Another seller had a IV that had some leather issues and a few scrapes on the back. Not bad enough to bring the price ay down, yet not clean enough to be interesting at a higher price. Sort of "value limbo." I passed on that one....

And as I look price-creep starts to kick in...I'm eyeing the Master model...

--Darin

Another update in my quest:

Found a V that looked very clean--but had a stripped front standard gear. Upon reflection the seller (wisely--it was nice camera) decided not to sell. Another seller had a IV that had some leather issues and a few scrapes on the back. Not bad enough to bring the price ay down, yet not clean enough to be interesting at a higher price. Sort of "value limbo." I passed on that one....

And as I look price-creep starts to kick in...I'm eyeing the Master model...

--Darin
    Good idea I think. Parts and repairs will be easier with the Master, the flap on the top of the rear housing is useful when you want to use front rise with a short lens, and even though the V and the Master look virtually identical (especially when the V has black leatherette as mine did) I think Linhof made quite a few changes inside that you don't see but that presumably are improvements (e.g. the internal mechanism for the back knobs is totally different between the V and the Master even though everything looks the same from the outside). Of course like most things, it all comes down to money - how much you have and how much you don't have.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

>>even though the V and the Master look virtually identical (especially when the V has black leatherette as mine did) I think Linhof made quite a few changes inside that you don't see but that presumably are improvements (e.g. the internal mechanism for the back knobs is totally different between the V and the Master even though everything looks the same from the outside).<<

Hey Brian,

Interesting--it isn't exactly a strictly price issue, is a sort of what do I really need issue combined with "how much can I sell if for" if I bail out later on.

Bob--is there a list of what was changed on the Master--the hard to see stuff that Brian is talking about?

--Darin

>>even though the V and the Master look virtually identical (especially when the V has black leatherette as mine did) I think Linhof made quite a few changes inside that you don't see but that presumably are improvements (e.g. the internal mechanism for the back knobs is totally different between the V and the Master even though everything looks the same from the outside).<<

Hey Brian,

Interesting--it isn't exactly a strictly price issue, is a sort of what do I really need issue combined with "how much can I sell if for" if I bail out later on.

Bob--is there a list of what was changed on the Master--the hard to see stuff that Brian is talking about?

--Darin
    No, The changes are the top flap for increased flexibility with wide lenses and then things that moved around (locking knobs for back movements for one) things that were removed (front bed cable release socket), etc. The Technika is perhaps the best example of a camera evolving over time and that includes differences between a IV to a V to a Master and from Master to Master since it has been made since 1976.